MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Raw, cultured butter

MommaDogs

Hey all, since we are talking more about TF diet, I thought I'd let you know that I just posted a photo essay on my blog about how to make butter.

It's a new blog, just felt called to start doing it - don't know how to use the software just yet, so please forgive the messy appearance. However, my DSD took some nice photos. We make about 50 pounds of raw, cultured butter in the early spring (sometimes more in the fall) out of that beautiful, high vitamin cream.

The blog will mostly be about self sufficiency and preparedness, but there will be many WAP and TF essays on there, with photos, so if you're interested, subscribe and it will send you email updates when I post. I'll be making one of my favorites, ginger beer, soon. Oh, and for those of you that have the NT cookbook, if you haven't made the raspberry-orange drink... oh, my! Sooo good.

Thanks... you didnt' think it was too hard to follow?

I don't have a cow. That was 2 gallons of cream, at a cost of $60, and I got 7 pounds of butter, a half gallon of buttermilk, and two gallons of dog water out of it. I'm working on getting to the bartering stage with all of my farmer friends, so the price should go down soon, I hope. :) We're also looking into bartering use of a neighbor's land in order to put a cow on it.

Don't want to discourage anyone with the cost, this is grass fed, organic, raw cream and almost impossible to get in our state. In order to get it, you have to sign a contract with the farmer saying you are processing your cream into a product, as cream for some reason is not allowed to be sold. There are many other ways to get cream, and fresh butter is so worth it!

I use creme fraiche because I really like the taste. Take some cold creme fraiche, sweeten with a tiny bit of maple syrup, and spin into whipped cream, serve with fresh berries. It is SO good. I like the way it matures. That butter I made last night had sat on my counter for two weeks before being spun down. I did a little each night, but it was still very good last night. It's been cool here so no issues with it souring too much.

Great blogging! :thumbs:

We want to get started with bees in the future. AND btw, I've been reading about Tupelo and Sage honey, they are suppose to be the best for Diabetics. So, good luck with the Sage. :)

Samara is so cute! As a matter of fact she looks so much like Aslan they could be related!! ;)

That debt clock at the bottom does funky things to the unloading. I kept going from 24 images left to 30 images left, and my computer treated the page as never fully downloaded.

That debt clock at the bottom does funky things to the unloading. I kept going from 24 images left to 30 images left, and my computer treated the page as never fully downloaded.

Thanks for letting me know, I'll remove it right away.

Archived