MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help! another meat canning question

NanaX2

Well, my first attempt at canning boneless, skinless chicken breasts and pork tenderloins went well. Everything sealed and looks like the science experiment that is often described :D BUT,.............

here are my questions: I used the drypack method and there is some meat above the level of the broth that it made during processing. Is that OK? Also, the tenderloin really shrunk down, there is approx. 1 1/2 to 2 inches of headspace in jars now. Is it OK?

I think I need someone to hold my hand thru this process :o Why oh why didn't I pay attention to my MIL's canning abilities?? She's in a nursing home now and can't remember a thing, poor dear.

Thanks for any input!!

Well, my first attempt at canning boneless, skinless chicken breasts and pork tenderloins went well. Everything sealed and looks like the science experiment that is often described :D BUT,.............

here are my questions: I used the drypack method and there is some meat above the level of the broth that it made during processing. Is that OK? Also, the tenderloin really shrunk down, there is approx. 1 1/2 to 2 inches of headspace in jars now. Is it OK?

I think I need someone to hold my hand thru this process :o Why oh why didn't I pay attention to my MIL's canning abilities?? She's in a nursing home now and can't remember a thing, poor dear.

Thanks for any input!!

All of that is normal :) And don't be surprised if the stuff that sticks out of broth oxidizes a little too. It's still perfectly fine.

I agree with Prickle. All is normal and will be fine. If the part that's outside the broth bothers you, give it to the dog. That's what I did the first few times until I realized there's just too much work involved to just give to the dog for no reason! :)

Archived