MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hey Come Over to My House!

The MacKinnon

I wanted to invite y'all over for a quick look at what we've done! For those of you who haven't heard the saga, my DH has hand built our home - and I mean he laid every block. He's had help with the roof and putting up the walls and such, but this represents one man's efforts and I'm really proud of him. Anyway, we started actual construction of our passive solar house last May after an 18 month legal battle over an easement issue (so we were over a year behind on construction which really screwed up the budget). :0327:

DH designed the house to take advantage of the sun and reduce energy consumption. We moved in around Christmas and have more or less 'roughed it' since. We'd finished the kitchen and utility room (w/d, toilet & sink) and the shower in the bathroom worked. The bedroom was 7/8ths sheet rocked but not painted and the closet was a mess - no sheet rock, wires, cords, stuff... Even when it was 3* outside, we were at a comfortable 70* with only the woodstove and a small heater!!

So today, the sheet rock will be done and only the bedroom and closet need to be painted! We painted the big wall in our office and the living room a bright "Italiano Rose" and "Barely Pink" and the bathroom is 'Sweet Midori Green' and white, so we've used a lot of bright colors (the bedroom will be "Orange Spice" and "Vanilla Delight" - the utility room is "Bicycle", a bright yellow).

When we get moved in, I'll have a proper open house, but for now, I've got sun tea with home grown mint, so please come by, have a glass of tea and see what we've done! :bev:

http://www.brigidswood.blogspot.com :welcome:

Alexis

:D Sounds very nice! ( I am sitting here waiting to see if weather gets alot worse like the severe storm cells south of me might be drifting north....?) So I will just watch from here..... what color(s) in the kitchen?

Did you do anything unique with insulation work?

I soooo would love to build my own home too!

Archived