MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Has anyone canned pineapple?

Prickle

Does anyone have any personal experience with pineapple?

I bought a couple pineapples today and I'd like to can them.

I was reading some recipes and one said that some home canners had given up canning pineapple because it became tough when canned in syrup.

I supposed I could just pack it in water but I find some water packed fruits to be kinda blah.

What would you suggest?

The Ball Blue book has recipes for canned pineapple where you use sugar and water syrup similar to the way you do peaches. There is also a rather nice sounding recipe I can't have because of orange allergy called "Ambrosia Conserve" that uses fresh pineapple, oranges, orange juice, coconut, chopped cherries, and slivered almonds! If I were not allergic to oranges, I'd try that one!

I think if you want canned pineapple, use the light syrup method. If you've never done this before, you might as well find out if it works, eh? It's not like you are canning bushels of fruit, right?

Do you have the Ball Blue Book? If not and you want the instructions for either of the above, give me a holler.

Do you have the Ball Blue Book? If not and you want the instructions for either of the above, give me a holler.

Yeppers, I have the Ball book thanks to Pogo :D

I was just hoping someone could comment on the toughness issue :rolleyes:

I just so happen to have 28 quarts of it in my pantry right now. I used the Blue Book light syrup recipe and can tell you with out a doubt mines not a bit tough.

As a matter of fact I did some in chunks and some in rings, I used a jar of the rings last weekend for an upside down cake and they were wonderful!

Good luck!

I just so happen to have 28 quarts of it in my pantry right now. I used the Blue Book light syrup recipe and can tell you with out a doubt mines not a bit tough.

As a matter of fact I did some in chunks and some in rings, I used a jar of the rings last weekend for an upside down cake and they were wonderful!

Good luck!

Thanks! I finally got it done last night.

Another thing to try--my guys all love the honey syrup that I put their peaches in. (I don't...but they don't ask me! LOL) I got some pineapple last summer from the next-door neighbor who works for one of the Dole Packing plants. Decided to try THAT in the same honey syrup I used for the peaches--think I might have been doing ANOTHER batch that day actually--and the pineapple disappeared off my shelves within a month. Evidently it came out really well in the honey!

Obviously this is moot if you don't care for honey, but it's worth trying if you do!

Archived