MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Making apple jelly with bottled juice?

Vic303

Is there a reason you cannot make apple jelly using storebought applejuice? My mom was planning to make some doing that, and when she called (either certo, or ball or some company about it) they told her she had to boil down apples and strain the juice, etc. I'm thinking that it is not true...but then I have never tried to make apple jelly.

Please advise me.

Thanks

Vic

Sure - you can use bottled juice. I use bottled juice as a sweetener with Pomona's Pectin for jellies and jams.

It's fun making jelly out of different types of juices -- Coca Cola, Root Beer and Mountain Dew are favorites because the syrups hold their flavor when incorporated in to a jelly.

I also use Pomona Pectin to guarantee I will get a good gel when I am experimenting with different liquids. The stuff is more expensive but this stuff will gel water. It requires Calcium for the chemical reaction rather than sugar.

Thanks folks! Alas she already was started cooking & squeezing all the apples by the time I called her...oh well, I am printing it out to mail to her now.

--Vic

Archived