MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

How exactly do I use sourdough starter?

Not to sound ingnorant ~ but, I have my starter recipe and I don't have a clue on HOW to use it. I am only finding recipes for the starter but not any instructions on how to use it. How do I incorporate it into a recipe that I already have? I know it is used for rising, but how do I make that exchange?

Well, because it's a soft liquid/batter, it will change the dynamics of any recipe. So I tend to use a sourdough recipe and then modify *that* to what I like in comparison to my other recipes.

Here's one good thread that I reposted from ages ago that is full of good info...

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14924

and also the search results I did in the Kitchen forum using "sourdough". The serch results may help you pin-point what you're looking for... bread, or pancakes, or cakes... :shrug:

sourdough search link

If I know what, exactly, you want, I'll try to go further.

:bighug2:

If I know what, exactly, you want, I'll try to go further.

:bighug2:

I just don't know what to do with the starter. If I want to make pancakes, waffles, biscuits, bread, etc.; how do I use the starter in my recipes? Do I use my basic recipe, but eliminate the levening ingredients (baking powder, baking soda, yeast) and add the sourdough until it is the desired consistency? I guess a better way to phrase this is to say that I don't know how to use it. Is that more clear?

I did perform a search on this message board, and I did come up with a few links, but none of them answered my initial question.

ETA: Okay... after poking around a bit more, I am finding specific recipes for using sourdough. So, does this mean that I have to use a recipe that calls for sourdough starter? Meaning that I cannot use a basic recipe that I already have? Am I understanding that correctly?

Archived