MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

So NOW what do I do?

babysteps

A good friend of mine, who means well but... well... canned up 28 quarts of green beans a few days ago. It's the first time she canned anything, and she got directions from her mother-in-law for water bathing them. :shakinghead: Because "that's the way she's always done them" :tapfoot: .

I just found out today... is there ANYTHING she can do at this point? It's been at least four days, the temps here have been over a hundred all week, and she had put them out in her garage. I told her next time she cans to call me and I'd come over to help!!!! Poor thing, she just couldn't understand why boiling them for four hours wasn't good enough... *sigh*

Well, if she believes you, and you've shown her the Ball Blue book and it's instructions, then it seems her work and efforts are wasted *this* time.

If she doesn't believe you, then ask her to call your local county extension office and ask *them* directly. Look here if you don't know how to find them... http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

You're a good friend to try to help her learn the RIGHT ways!!!

:bighug2:

Sorry, no.

She should NOT open the jars !! She needs to toss all of it, including the jars in large trash bags. Seal tight and get rid of at the landfill.

Enough botulism can have grown in there to kill her. I am serious.....

Within a couple days, in BWB'd low acid things like green beans enough boutlism may have grown to be deadly.

If they are opened she will be at a risk of getting the toxin in through her skin, a splash in her eye, etc.

You cannot see, taste or smell botulism. It takes temps. over boiling water to kill botulism spores that can grow into the deadly toxin. It take 240 degrees, which can only be reached in a pressure canner. No matter if she boiled it at boiling water temps the rest of her life she cannot kill botulism.

You can tell her I am trained in food preservation safety and work at my local county extension office. If you want, print this out and give to her.

Archived