MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Help me choose the right new best friend

Nytehunter

First of all I would like to applogize for not being around much lately this week is my first week being single and it was a whole lot of crying yelling sadness anger rage bitterness acceptance and some tough choices I had to let my outdoor dog go to a nice farmer with lots of land. He was a German shepard that has forever been a free roamer and for the past 2 years has had to be chained up at my house and now that his boy has moved away I couldn't bare to keep him on a chain anymore so I found a nice home with 80 acres where he can run and roam to his hearts content. But now I want a dog to be my best buddy around the house and I need help finding the right one. I wanted an ALaskan husky but my friends say they are very high strung and active and I'm not sure thats what I want. So here is my list of criteria.

Mid to Large breed (german shepard or lab or such sized)

Looks manly ? (how do I explain I like wolves and such furry tough looking animals no froo froos or fluffy frilly things)

calm tempered not high strung

good around young kids

not overly barky

I want to name the dog Shadow so this could be descriptive of what I'm looking for perhaps.

any input would be appreciated the Good around young kids is must as I like to have my nephew and niece visit.

I believe after spending 4 hours on the various dog breed matching sites Iams and Eukanuba that a black lab is probably the dog for me very easy going and fun easy to train good with kids not very tough looking but big enough that hes got some character and very companionable unless someone can suggest something better? I looked at the siberian huskies but they looked very high maintenance the top of the list every time was newfoundland but they are hard hard to find and can be somewhat hit or miss on temperment.

I looked at those but my father is well . . hes a pain in the rear is what he is and paranoid about certain types of dogs also one of the reasons I had to let the german shepard go to the farmer. And let me tell you doing that made me cry so much I'd grown rather fond of shep. Anyway long story short the old man won't let me have any kind of pit bull bull mastiff bull dog german shepard or any dong even closely associated with aggression anywhere near his grandchildren.

even labs are different- hunting stock will be more hyper, and show stock will be more couch potato as a general rule.

why get a specific breed? there are tons (literally) of good dogs at the pound- shepherd/collie/lab/golden crosses are all very good bets for you.

I'm kinda lookin for a puppy maybe I should go to the pound though would be nice to find a fellow that no one else wanted kinda how im feeling atm would be good for both of us to feel wanted.

OOOOO I like em Boradors they are exactly what im looking for border collie/lab cross I wonder if i could find one at the pound I wonder where there is a pound near me and if my sister could take me cause my car wont make it I bet.

hahahaha.

border collie does NOT= laid back

very smart. needs something to do. will FIND something to do if no job is given them.

like upholstery un-stuffing or linoleum removal.

look in the yellow pages under Animal Shelters.

Yeah but during the day when im not home he/she will be outside where she can do whatever damage they want no biggy and when im home ill be taking them for a walk and prolly out and about with me on occasion I have a 125 foot runner that I had shep on so he could run around a bit with a 20 foot chain on it takes up meh half my yard and when I get home from work I would like to take them out for a walk before we head inside for the evening so it could work ya think? Dunno

GOODMORNINGDOGONSWING.gif

The animal shelters have lots of dogs most of the time, that is where we got Minnie from.

Also, have you checked Petfinder.com You can put your area code and the type of dog you are looking for and see what they come up wth.

Good luck, and let us know what you get and put pictures on too. :)

HUGS35.gifHAVEAGOODDAY.gif

Archived