MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need some jam advice...

Rita

I have some awesome muscadine grapes and want to make jam, rather then jelly with them. The USDA has a recipe for making jam with sugar and no pectin. Is there a recipe with sure jell that I can use that makes a jam? I just love the way jam or preserves spread so much better than jelly.

Also, I was just given a whole case of unsweeted applesauce! Can I make an apple jam with that using pectin?

Thanks

I have some awesome muscadine grapes and want to make jam, rather then jelly with them. The USDA has a recipe for making jam with sugar and no pectin. Is there a recipe with sure jell that I can use that makes a jam? I just love the way jam or preserves spread so much better than jelly.

Also, I was just given a whole case of unsweeted applesauce! Can I make an apple jam with that using pectin?

Thanks

Okay, I have a wonderful machine called a SQUEEZO and it takes the seeds out of our local Blackberries and leaves a thick puree, then I just use the Sure Jell box to make seedless Blackberry jam - and it is wonderful! Just made three batches last week. If you do not have access to this machine you could press the fruit through a strainer or small hold colander or leave the seeds in, it all works.

The unsweetened Applesauce would make wonderful Apple Butter in your crockpot! I did this several years ago but didn't realize that I cooked it too long, but it was good anyhow. Sure is the easy way to make Apple Butter. I don't see any reason that you couldn't make jam with the Applesauce though. I also dry Applesauce with a tiny bit of Honey to make fruit leather - grandkids love it. Good luck

I would think that if you ran barely blanched grapes through a foley style food mill on the fine screen that you would get rid of the seeds and skins but get the pulp, much like you do in tomato or apple sauce. The grape pulp is not what I'd call full bodied, so I don't know if it would make it jam. Maybe add something to it, like plums?

Thanks

Okay, I have a wonderful machine called a SQUEEZO and it takes the seeds out of our local Blackberries and leaves a thick puree, then I just use the Sure Jell box to make seedless Blackberry jam - and it is wonderful! Just made three batches last week. If you do not have access to this machine you could press the fruit through a strainer or small hold colander or leave the seeds in, it all works.

The unsweetened Applesauce would make wonderful Apple Butter in your crockpot! I did this several years ago but didn't realize that I cooked it too long, but it was good anyhow. Sure is the easy way to make Apple Butter. I don't see any reason that you couldn't make jam with the Applesauce though. I also dry Applesauce with a tiny bit of Honey to make fruit leather - grandkids love it. Good luck

Where did you come across your squeezo? Sounds interesting!

See that canned nerd answered you about the Squeezo - have had mine for over thirty years but do know they are still available. The Foley Food Mill would work too. Also, if I were doing it (not familiar with those Grapes though) I would try to remove seeds and run it through the blender, but then I am the strange one that likes fruit skins in some jams. Let us know how it turns out please.

Archived