MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Beans!

O.k. folks, may I please humbly ask for some great bean recipies that very picky kids (all ages) and husband will enjoy. I know all the benefits of having beans in my food storage but so far, only half the family will eat chili that I make from beans......and that's it. My girls and I will eat baked beans when I make it in the crock pot, but the boys / men won't touch it.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bean Burritos

Serves 8

ingredients

¾ cup rice, either white or brown

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 medium onions, chopped

4 garlic cloves, chopped

1 jalapeño chile, chopped (ribs and seeds removed, for less heat)- (I usually substitute canned chiles)

½ teaspoon ground cumin

Coarse salt and ground pepper (I skip the salt)

3 tablespoons tomato paste

3 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, drained and rinsed (I use cooked dried beans, adding extra cumin and garlic during cooking)

1 box frozen corn kernels (10 ounces)

6 scallions, thinly sliced (I usually skip these)

8 burrito-size (10-inch) flour tortillas

2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese (8 ounces) (I use Mexican mix or chedder mixed with Monterey Jack to make these cheaper)

Salsa and sour cream (optional) - for use with serving

1. Cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.

2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium. Add onions, garlic, jalapeño, and cumin; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Add tomato paste, and cook, stirring, 1 minute.

3. Add beans and 1 ½ cups water; bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 10 to 12 minutes. Add corn; cook to heat through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in scallions.

4. Heat tortillas according to package instructions; fill with rice, bean mixture, and cheese.

5. Assemble: Mound ¼ cup rice, ¾ cup bean mixture, and ¼ cup cheese on one side of tortilla. Fold, and hold in sides. Starting from filled end, holding sides in as you work, tightly roll into a bundle. Place on a baking sheet, seam side down, and prepare remaining burritos.

6. Serve immediately, with salsa and sour cream, if using, or wrap individually in plastic and freeze up to 3 months.

Per serving: (without salsa and sour cream) 519 calories; 18.6 grams fat; 18.7 grams protein; 70.5 grams carbohydrates; 7.4 grams fiber

Note: Before wrapping individually, freeze burritos on a baking sheet so they don’t come apart in the process; then put back in freezer.

Reheating From Frozen:

1. Microwave and oven: Remove frozen burritos from plastic wrap. Place on a microwave-safe plate; microwave on high for 3 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet; bake at 450° until crispy, about 10 minutes. This is our favorite quick method.

2. Oven only: Remove frozen burritos from plastic wrap; rewrap individually in aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet; bake at 450°, 40 minutes; remove foil, and bake to crisp, 5 to 10 minutes. (To reheat defrosted burritos, remove any wrapping, and bake for 10 minutes.)

1. Microwave only: Remove frozen burritos from plastic wrap. Place on a microwave-safe plate, covered with a microwave-safe bowl, and defrost at high power for 3 to 4 minutes; uncover, and microwave on high, 3 to 4 minutes longer.

DS is pushing me to go; he has an appointment we need to get to. But we've talked about this one extensively here.

Try typing in (exactly this, with the space) "+beans +recipe" in the search at the top of the page. If you do it while *IN* the Kitchen forum, it will ask if you only want to start in that forum. It's a good place to start, so I'd say yes for now.

Otherwise, doing it in "all forums" brings up lots of other good stuff scattered throughout the forums.

I'll try to find specific threads later, when I get back.

:bighug2:

I'm on a time constraint as well, preparing to leave the house for the day. (which I detest) <_<

Anyway, I'll try to be more specific later as well, but here are a few bean dishes that we really enjoy...including the children.

Homemade refried beans! YUMYUMYUM

You simply cook the pintos, add the seasonings and cook 'thick' (not much water when all done) and mash part of the way. I season with garlic and bellpeppers and cumin and chili seasoning...plus anything else I put my grubby little hands on.

Make up some homemade flour tortillas, grate some cheese, plus we have the homemade salsa....oh my, good eats!

White Chili! Wonderful!

You use white beans and green chilies and chicken, recipes all over the internet, this is a wonderful flavor (I always add sour cream).

Black Bean Soup (Darlene has a great recipe for this here on the site)

Lentil Stew ( I did a whole thread on Lentils, I'll try to find it)

These cook quickly and if y'all like sausage in your beans, you'll like these. I love them and they are extremely healthy!!

Then there's Navy Bean Soup, and baked beans and southwestern beans and 9bean soup and red beans and rice and JUST BEANS :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived