MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Natural Cure -- Sore Throat

mithreesons

I just used some Collodial Silver on my sore throat and boy, it is really helping!

Some other remedies that seem to be working are combining warm water with lemon, honey and ground ginger. It really relieves the pain. I am also eating tons of garlic mixed with chicken broth.

Just wanted to share what is working for me, in case it helps another.

Traditional Medicinals puts out a 'Throat Coat' and "Chestal" tea for the throat and cough nasties. I always keep it on hand. I sealed up extra in the flu kit.

I also pickle garlic (equal amounts of vinegar & water) and eat a few of those. I have icky breath but it really works well.

I hear you.

I survived flu/pneumonia one winter on a diet of hot limeade (made with a lime/kumquat hybrid that was fruiting right then) made with honey and ginger. It did wonders for my throat and cough. I have recommended it for every cough/sore throat since.

Along with Ambergris, we made a concontion of ginger syrup, limejuice and water to keep hydrated.

And old Dutch remedy for sore throats, salt herring. Eat one, do not drink for half an hour afterwards and the salt soothes the thoat and is said to kill bacteria. Dunno if you have fresh salted herring there.

Sore throats can also be helped by gargling with a mix of cayenne and salt water. Just put a tiny pinch of cayenne in warm salt water and gargle with it. Tip: as you take a mouthful of the gargle put your tongue up on the roof of your mouth so it flows around it to the back of your throat. Then you can hardly feel the spiciness of the cayenne. Take's a litle practice but this is the best gargle for a sore throat I have found yet. Cayenne is a great herb for me...but not everyone tolerates it, so something like ginger or cinnamon might work better for more sensitive people.

Sore throats have different causes, and may need different remedies to help them. For myself I have noticed that tonsillitis/or strep sore throats respond very well to the cayenne/salt gargle but for sore throats associated with colds/flue I tend to prefer hot lemonade made with a little honey and real lemons. I have also found that it is best to avoid sugar including cough drops, ice cream, juice, etc...when sick, as they can make it last longer than it other wise would.

Sipping salty hot chicken broth with garlic and red pepper can also help out.

Archived