MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

vegetarian chili

This is a microwave recipe I had in my database, but it could be cooked any ol' way I'm sure.

Vegetable Chili

1 teaspoon olive oil

1 large onion -- chopped

2 garlic cloves -- chopped

2 medium carrots -- sliced

1 cup sliced celery -- sliced diagonally

1 medium zucchini -- quartered

1 red or green pepper

2 jalapeno peppers

28 ounces canned tomatoes -- chopped

19 ounces canned kidney beans

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 teaspoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon dried oregano

salt and pepper

pinch of granulated sugar

shredded mozzarella

In a large 3 quart casserole dish, combine the oil, onion, garlic, carrots and celery. Microwave covered at High for 7 to 8 minutes or until vegetable are almost tender.

Add zucchini, peppers, canned tomatoes including liquid, kidney beans including, chili powder, cumin and oregano. Microwave covered at High for 16 to 18 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Let stand, covered for 5 minutes.

Season to taste with salt, pepper and pinch of sugar. Ladle chili into warm soup bowls; sprinkle with shredded cheddar or mozzarella and serve.

Great recipes. DD boyfriend is going to help me. He said if it dosen't have meat whats the point. I would like to prove him wrong. They are doing a family night fund rasier for the kids church. When we were at an all time low as a family God just about shoved us into that church. I love giving back to it.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of my customers served me home made chili last night. She uses cactus instead of green bell pepper in her food. It is a great substitute since it doesn't irritate your digestive system like GBP and, is often free. I have long loved cactus in my eggs and in fajitas but, had not thought to use it instead of GBP. You can buy it in a jar at walmart under the name "napolitos" in the Latin food aisle if you just want to try it out. Anyone know how well cactus freezes?

Archived