MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Asparagus...Can or Dehydrate?

GettinReady

We have some asparagus "on sale" this week. Not the best price considering the time of year but I thought I might try canning some for the heck of it. Problem is, I don't care for commercially canned asparagus very much. I like the flavor ok and will eat it but do find it quite *mushy* (I prefer my asparagus grilled or roasted). How does your home canned asparagus come out? Is it as mushy as commercially canned?

Maybe I should dehydrate it instead? Has anyone dehydrated then rehydrated it? How did you like it?

I'd like to do some experimenting before spring (when I can get much better pricing) but am not sure which way I want to go yet... :rolleyes:

Commercially canned asparagus probably do a better job of it than can be achieved by home canned. Even if you included Calcium Chloride you might be disappointed by the mushy texture resulting from pressure canning.

Dehydrating is an option, but it will only be available for soups and such. It will not hydrate back to the condition and texture of fresh.

Thanks Violet! I figured it was safe because of the vinegar, but I hadn't gotten an "official" go ahead. We love both the pickled asparagus and the "dilly" beans but we do watch our salt in this house and both recipes "as is" are too salty for us. Thanks for the official thumbs up!

Archived