MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Regular Lids vs. Dome Lids...What's the Difference?

GettinReady

One of the Walmart's I frequent must have found a bunch of lids in the back of the store because I wiped them out a couple weeks ago and now they have a couple hundred boxes on the shelf at reduced prices. Anyway, they have Wide Mouth lids and "Dome" Wide Mouth lids. What's the difference between a regular lid and Dome lid? I googled it but couldn't find an answer... :huh:

Nothing different other than perhaps the brand. I forget which ones say dome. But, doesn't matter to me what brand I get since they are all made by the same company, anyway. Yes, it is a monopoly. Even the Golden Harvest are the same company as Ball and Kerr.

Well, I guess the Amish do have some one piece lids I hear. I don't know who makes them.

Nothing different other than perhaps the brand. I forget which ones say dome. But, doesn't matter to me what brand I get since they are all made by the same company, anyway. Yes, it is a monopoly. Even the Golden Harvest are the same company as Ball and Kerr.

Well, I guess the Amish do have some one piece lids I hear. I don't know who makes them.

Violet, there are 1 piece caps available for water bath canning. They have the little dimple that gets sucked in when the jar seals. They are available thru www.fillmorecontainer.com . I have used some of these on jam and jellys to test them and had no problems. I made some grape jelly 5 years ago and used these on 4 jars, I marked those with an x and marked 4 jars with 2 piece lids. We opened 1 of each starting 4 years ago and opened the last pair a few months ago. We found no difference between the jars. I have not tried them on anything else. I'm waiting for the USDA or powers that be to say these are safe to use. I'm not suggesting replacing the 2 piece lids, just saying there are other options and maybe someday these lids will be recommended. Lee

I would assume they are Ball® flat lids:

274106_f260.jpg

Named I believe because they have a dimple in the center that looks like a dome before it seals.

Yes...this is the lid I saw. But what is the purpose of the dimple? Is it an aesthetic/visual thing? If the dimple goes down you know you have a good seal?

Now I'm even more confused based on the other responses...are you guys saying that if you use a Dome lid you don't need to use a Ring? I'm confused over the "two piece lid" discussion.

The Dome lids were just a different style. You see the dome on many commercial lids for bottled goods. Today's home canning lids have the entire lid that goes concave when sealed. Same end result.

Home canning in the USA specifies 2-piece lids be used, which is a flat lid and a spring lid that holds the flat down during processing. Afterwards the spring is removed and any food or discharge around the sealed flat lid is cleaned off.

A one-piece lid, used in the commercial industry and some other countries, is not considered safe for home canning since food can be trapped under the lid and other reasons. Commercial canning processing uses different methods of filling and pasteurizing that is different from home canning.

I would assume they are Ball® flat lids:

274106_f260.jpg

Named I believe because they have a dimple in the center that looks like a dome before it seals.

Yes...this is the lid I saw. But what is the purpose of the dimple? Is it an aesthetic/visual thing? If the dimple goes down you know you have a good seal?

Now I'm even more confused based on the other responses...are you guys saying that if you use a Dome lid you don't need to use a Ring? I'm confused over the "two piece lid" discussion.

Gettin....there is no real difference between Ball, Kerr and Golden Harvest. Lids is lids. They are made by the same company, Jardin products. You use these WITH the ring when processing. After the jar is processed, a sealed lid will be concave - sucked down - the Ball lid has a dime size button or dimple or "dome" that appears sucked down a bit more than the rest.

If you bought both kinds, why don't you try this... fill 2 jars with water, put a lid and ring of each kind on and water bath for 10-15 minutes. That way you can see for yourself how they look when sealed. Sorry if you got confizzled........ Pigz

Archived