MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need some expert advice

CoM

My husband has a compromised immune system as a result of being on steroids for Chron's disease. He has been fairly isolated from people for the last few months.

Because of this I have been trying to boost my own immune system so I don't get sick and in turn bring it home to him.

I have been on 5,000 iu Vit D3 for 3 months, have taken 2 tablespoons of elderberry tonic each day for at least 2 months, and 1 T coconut oil a day for 2 months.

I have not had a cold in over 15 years.

Well of all years to get sick I end up with a sinus infection which has gone to my chest and and now trying to fight it off before it turns into bronchitis.

I have added guaifenicin ( Mucinex ), garlic & onion honey, 1 teaspoon echinacea tinture and about 2,000 mg of Vit C a day to my daily regime. I am also drinking a tea made with water, apple cider vinegar, lemon & honey.

I am so disappointed that I have got sick this year especially after having been trying to boost my immune system herbally.

Am I taking to much? Am I having a cykotine storm? Should I change the doses of what I am taking?

I don't want to have to get on antibiotics if I don't absolutely have to.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am new to herbal remedies.

Thank you.

You're outside my realm of expertise with the details of what you're ingesting, but I have a simple mechanical response to any chest crud.

Cup your hand. Slap your thigh. If you get a hollowish sound instead of a slapping noise, you've done it right. Teach your husband to cup his hands the same way. Now have him clap, or rather clop! his hands all over your upper and middle back. It might help to tie a sash over your kidneys and tell him to stay well above that. You should begin a thick, wet, productive cough. You might have to help it along (after you're clopped, or between clopping sessions) by lying face down on bed and then creeping to the side of the bed until your upper body is hanging pretty close to straight down.

Don't let him clop you in this position. Something's going to get hurt if he does.

Have him help you sit up, or creep backward back onto the bed.

Also, drink lots and lots and lots of water.

CoM, do you eat a lot of sugar? There was a research study done at a University in CA showing that sugar impairs white blood cells ability to destroy bacteria, etc. I will try to find the actual numbers and post them later but I do remember that eating 24 tsp of sugar at one meal effectively reduces the WBC ability to zero. This is the number of teaspoons of sugar in a milkshake, a normal size piece of cheesecake and several common foods. We often don't realize how much sugar is hidden in foods.

Daylily

CoM, do you eat a lot of sugar? There was a research study done at a University in CA showing that sugar impairs white blood cells ability to destroy bacteria, etc. I will try to find the actual numbers and post them later but I do remember that eating 24 tsp of sugar at one meal effectively reduces the WBC ability to zero. This is the number of teaspoons of sugar in a milkshake, a normal size piece of cheesecake and several common foods. We often don't realize how much sugar is hidden in foods.

Daylily

Hangs her head in shame. I do eat to much sugar. Just wierd that after 15 years I should get sick especially when I was doing more to boost my immune system because of the flu going around.

I ended up pulling some amoxicillin out of prep storage and some Nyquil :-(

Archived