MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food Storage Day!

Lunch and dinner today are coming from food storage...

Lentil and pasta soup is on the stove, cooking with rehydrated dried carrots, celery and onion and a can of tomatoes and some spices...

Dinner tonight is going to be baby limas with ham base, ham TVP, rehydrated dried veggies and rice, and cornbread.

It's good practice, and right now we are extremely grateful for our food storage because my DH got another paycut and we're getting into lean times.

I weekly use stuff from my storage. Since when things get really bad that is the stuff we are going to be eating I want to be able to readily cook with it. Also, the money I save on groceries by using the storage stuff I just reinvest in more storage stuff. Since we grind our own hard red wheat for bread I have the bread supply of wheat open I use weekly and then the long term stuff I don't open...same with 9 grain cereal. I also routinely rotate through my dehydrated stuff. Gets me used to cooking times to rehydrate, etc.

Pay cuts sure make life rough. Good thing you have something put back!

I decided some time back that the storage food is not for looking at but for eating. So every day is " food storage day" for us. I do occasionally buy fresh stuff, but hopefully my garden is going to produce enough this year. I've also been buying fresh milk for daughter, but one of the goats just freshened Friday and is up to 1 1/2 pt twice a day. Two more to freshen!

My biggest problem, storage food wise, is having enough livestock feed on hand.

How were your meals TurtleMama?

I've recently been rearranging my kitchen in such a way that it is more "prep-friendly". I've given up being an "organic snob" (with a few exceptions) and am using lots of (purchased) dehydrated products in cooking. So far, we're liking it...and I feel good about using and rotating my preps - as well as eating cheaply.

Today (Sunday) was a big cooking day for us, we got a deal on 50 pounds of potatoes (better then culls) for $7.00 !

So there will be LOTS of potato eatting in the next few weeks, did share some with older neighbor next door.

So today we cooked :

made some potato salad

made some Macaroni salad

made scalloped potatoes with ham to Mondays Dinner

made jello for the next few days

made french fries (with gravy) for tonights supper

made potato soup for weeks meals

made ham spread for sandwiches

made 'hard boiled' eggs (6) for sandwiches and salads

and lots of srapes and peeling went into the compost bin!

And Yes we did put some away in the root cellar with our other ones from our gardn. ;)

I like to cook a bunch of meals ahead to save time and if we have a busy week it is so nice to come home and be able to just put stuff out or heat up.

:AmishMichael2:

How were your meals TurtleMama?

I've recently been rearranging my kitchen in such a way that it is more "prep-friendly". I've given up being an "organic snob" (with a few exceptions) and am using lots of (purchased) dehydrated products in cooking. So far, we're liking it...and I feel good about using and rotating my preps - as well as eating cheaply.

Oh, wow, they turned out SO good, and my dad was SOOOOO happy when we invited him and my mama over to partake of the lima beans (one of his favorite things in the world) with us! :D

Good food, good family, good times...thank God for food storage!

They are calling for more snow tonight? and then Tursday and Friday too?

So we are getting ready just in case..................

Planning meals in case there is no power and getting things made today so we have them in case?

Like more potato salad, boiled eggs, homemade bread, etc.

Better safe then sorry. :thumbs:

we have gas so it will not be too bad but you never know?

Archived