MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Carrot Question

Hello! :)

I am canning carrots this mroning...they are locally grown, and were purchased at my farmer's market for 2 pounds for a dollar. :D However, my canner only fits 8 pints, and I have leftover sliced carrots. Is it safe for me to put them in a tupperware and store them in the fridge until this afternoon or tomorrow morning, when I'll have time to run another canner-full?

Thanks so much, everyone!

Yes.

Please say they are the fat carrots designed to be cooked, not the long skinny ones designed for raw eating?

LOL I almost didn't get them because they were so fat and huge! I thought maybe they'd be like stalks of wood! But they taste wonderful and are HUGE. I had to cut some in half lengthwise before slicing them because they were so big around. They taste spicy and sweet, not like grocery store carrots -- which taste like...nothing. LOL

One other question...I raw packed the carrots, and now that they are out, all of the carrots are floating -- except in one jar, where they are sinking. Is that okay?

um...any pro canners know?

I'm doing good to know that the fat ones taste good cooked but often aren't good raw, while the skinny ones are sweet raw but insipid when cooked.

Once the jars sealed, they started to settle towards the bottom. :) I will try the remaining carrots hot packed and see how it looks different.

One jar didn't seal..that was a first for me! Once I got the lid off, I realized that there was a teeny-tiny chip on the rim of the jar. Those carrots went into the fridge for supper tomorrow night and the jar went to recycling.

Ambergris, the huge carrots tasted DIVINE cooked...I was tempted to eat the whole jar that didn't seal, but stopped myself! :D

Archived