MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Whole chicken in a crockpot?

How long would I need to cook a whole chicken - not cut apart - in a crock pot? I'm thinking on high because I'm wanting to put it in in the morning and have it done by lunch. But I don't know how early in the morning to put it in.

I may be totally wrong but I would think about 4-5 hours. If you find it done before your ready to eat you can always turn it on low.

:wormie2:

John

I would not do it on HIGH, especially if your slow cooker is a Rival®, because it will cook in a few hours, as stated. Do it on LOW in the morning and it will be fall-apart done in 8 hours.

If you want more of a roasted effect, the chicken needs to be kept out of the liquid that will be formed, so place the vegetables on the bottom or use balls of aluminum foil in order to raise the chicken several inches off the bottom.

I've never cooked a whole chicken on high...I'm wondering whether it would be totally done if you tried. I know that if you put it in on low, it'll be done in 8 to 10 hours, depending on the size of the bird.

I'd give it a shot, but be sure to use a thermometer to make sure it's totally done after five hours on high. :)

Use a rack and it will be fine in about 4 hours. Really. It falls off the bone the last bit anyway. if you don't care about it falling off the bone, leave it at low all day, rather than just until noon.:)

Archived