MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

what to do????

Deerslayer

OK--so in my new house's pantry--there are about 1000 home canned items--they are dated 2005 and 2006 most are thing off the orchard trees like peaches and apple pie filling etc--there are also a couple 100 in the cellar--my question is this...are the jars still good??? I don't think I can bring myself to eat the food--not knowing if proper recipes were used and some of them have popable tops (that is my term for not a good seal)--but can I sterilize and use all those jars? Thanks for the information

Yes, Yes, YES!!!! :woohoo: What a WONDERFUL gift!!!

You can't use the flats (the seal part), of course. But the jars and any rings that aren't rusty or bent are perfectly fine to clean, sterilize, and reuse. Check each jar for chips and cracks, but they should be fine.

I wouldn't want to use food canned by persons unknown, either. But SAVE THOSE JARS!!!! :cheer:

:bighug2:

Thanks cat--I am heading back up there tomorrow--time for another round of exploring--there is so many buildings and junk piles to look through--several buildings I have not even opened the door on yet--(taking bolt cutters this time)--can't wait--

dad called today--he went out there to take the realtor sign down and do a few things for me and called to tell me that he found 8 more bee boxes that look brand new--anyone know any good books on raising bees??? I don't have a clue--dad also told me the old man had bee boxes all over the county in fields--and that no one around knows anything about them...hmmm maybe I have found a new hobby!!!

Honey can be good money for you. And many people swear that "local" honey is best, so they look for it.

The biggest thing for you MIGHT be the Africanized bees - the ones they call "Killer Bees" - that were mixed with gentle honeybees and escaped from a lab in Brazil.

You'll have to check that possibility out very carefully. Maybe start with your County Extension office.

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

haha--I hadn't even really thought about the honey (except for personal use) I was thinking about how all the farmers "rent" the bee boxes to help their crops--now I really need to get some books!!!

Please be careful with those jars of food ! If they are tomatoes or low acid foods, then DO NOT OPEN !! They could have botulism. Better to toss jars and all in that case. Since you cannot see, taste, or smell botulism you need to just wrap in black plastic bags and throw the jars and all away. Not worth the risk to try to save a few dollars in jars.

Identifying and Handling Spoiled Canned Food

Do not taste food from a jar with an unsealed lid or food that shows signs of spoilage.

You can more easily detect some types of spoilage in jars stored without screw bands. Growth of spoilage bacteria and yeast produces gas which pressurizes the food, swells lids, and breaks jar seals. As each stored jar is selected for use, examine its lid for tightness and vacuum. Lids with concave centers have good seals.

Next, while holding the jar upright at eye level, rotate the jar and examine its outside surface for streaks of dried food originating at the top of the jar. Look at the contents for rising air bubbles and unnatural color.

While opening the jar, smell for unnatural odors and look for spurting liquid and cottonlike mold growth (white, blue, black, or green) on the top food surface and underside of lid.

Spoiled low-acid foods, including tomatoes, may exhibit different kinds of spoilage evidence or very little evidence. Therefore, all suspect containers of spoiled low-acid foods, including tomatoes, should be treated as having produced botulinum toxin and handled carefully in one of two ways:

If the swollen metal cans or suspect glass jars are still sealed, place them in a heavy garbage bag. Close and place the bag in a regular trash container or bury it in a nearby landfill.

If the suspect cans or glass jars are unsealed, open, or leaking, they should be detoxified before disposal.

Detoxification process: Carefully place the suspect containers and lids on their sides in an 8-quart volume or larger stock pot, pan, or boiling-water canner. Wash your hands thoroughly. Carefully add water to the pot. The water should completely cover the containers with a minimum of a 1-inch level above the containers. Avoid splashing the water. Place a lid on the pot and heat the water to boiling. Boil 30 minutes to ensure detoxifying the food and all container components. Cool and discard the containers, their lids, and food in the trash or bury in soil.

Thoroughly scrub all counters, containers, and equipment including can opener, clothing, and hands that may have contacted the food or containers. Discard any sponges or wash cloths that may have been used in the cleanup. Place them in a plastic bag and discard in the trash.

Archived