MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tomato canning recipe questions

Hi. I've never canned before and am a little nervous. We probably won't be canning for another few weeks yet. I've been looking online and through the canning books I bought to get more familiar with and to pick out recipes. My questions:

Is salt optional even when it doesn't say "optional"? I think I'd like to try the Pizza Sauce Recipe on page 366 in Ball's Complete Book of Home Preserving. I have a ton of food allergies. This one is safe for me. DH is on a low-sodium diet. Is this one safe to do without the salt?

I'm noticing on some of the recipes, it says to basically cook the tomatoes and spices (or whatever else) and then to run it throught a food mill/strainer/seive. Is it ok to put the tomatoes through a food strainer and then cook it? When I was little and my parents canned, we put the tomatoes through the food mill/strainer. After that, they'd cook the sauce and then can. I know that canning recommendations have changed since then. I want to do this correctly, but was wondering if there was a difference.

Salt is only for flavor. The safety is in the added bottled lemon juice or citric acid. It is not optional if called for.

The problem with running them through raw is the pectin will break down and the tomato products will seperate. Cook them first.

Remember to use Canning Salt. Regular table salt has anti-caking agents and iodine in it that can cause your food to not only taste bad but it can change the color of your brines.

Canning salt is cheap. You can also use Kosher Salt. Be sure to check your canning book for the measurements because it weighs different than the canning salt. :)

Archived