MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Friday at last

Dee

Good morning everyone :wave:

War is not nice.

Barbara Bush (1925 - )

I read the above quote this morning and I agree with her whole heartedly!

It's a beautiful morning here. The suns out and shining bright but there's no breeze so the mosquitoes are horrendous. I guess it's the morning to clean and organize my pantry before I start canning. It's one of those jobs that really isn't bad once I get started....it's just that getting started is tough!

This afternoon we're taking off for Ft. Dodge. There's something on sale "today only" at Menard's that DH wants so off we'll go after dinner/lunch. I've got a list made for Aldi's so will stop there too, along with a couple other places.

Like you Cat, "I am finding fewer and fewer reasons to shop at Wal-Mart". I used to say I needed my Wal-Mart fix when we went to one of the larger cities but not anymore and I can't really say why. Ours still has fabric, etc. but there's just something in my mind that has changed.

This evening I'll be baking pies, dilly bread and getting cinnamon rolls raising for farmers market tomorrow. So, I'm having a busy day.

How about you, what are you all doing?

Dee, I agree with you that Wal Mart just does not draw me in much anymore. And, I live in a small city that does not have many stores, so WM is the only place to get some things.

My DS wanted to go to another small city about 1 1/2 hrs from me to buy fabric, so I headed out with her on Wednesday. They have a Kroger grocery, and we got some bargains. I like bargins, and a day away with my sister.

Just finishing a canner of salsa using Mrs. Wages, so I have accomplished something today.

I use Mrs. Wages salsa too Virginia. I also use Mrs. Wages pizza sauce. Both are so easy and GOOD! I actually restocked on Mrs. Wages last fall just to be sure I'd have some.

Last late summer and fall, we could not get Mrs Wages Salsa mix in our town at all. I have never tried the pizza sauce, but I'll look it over next time I'm at the store.

Oh my gosh, we went to Wal-Mart today and everything (other than the food section) is changed. NOTHING is in the same place. I felt like I was an alien on Mars.

I said to heck with it and decided to get my powdered ice cream mix and leave. After looking for it I asked a clerk where it was. It's gone for the season she said. What do you mean it's gone, last winter they told me it was a summer item so I planned on stocking up. Sorry, she says, it was just in the clearance aisle last week and is gone for the season. Good grief, that wasn't even the middle of July yet.

Between changing the whle store around and not having my ice cream mix, I feel like I even have fewer reasons to shop at Wal-Mart.

Stores being out of things is becoming the norm anymore it seems like to me.

I even ordered something off E-bay the other day and after paying for it they said, sorry, it's out of stock and they don't know when it'll be reordered. The money was no problem, I'd done Pay Pal and it's taken care of but......

Good evening,

It's been a busy day and I don't see any relief anytime soon. The kids and I ran down to my parents this morning so I could weed the garden (dad's fourth of 4 maintenence treatments hit him harder than was expected by anyone). We ended up staying for lunch and my search for blueberries began. I ran to the place I've been purchasing them because it's close to my parents and the route home. They were out, unless I wanted unsorted berries and they recommended calling in an order. I've NEVER called in an order for blueberries!!! Went to the place I worked when I was a kid and the girls were able to give me 10 lbs. They said they had 75 lbs more in orders than berries that had been picked. I'm going to start blueberry butter in a few hours so it can simmer in the crockpot overnight and be ready to go in the morning. I have a dozen ears of corn to clean and process half of it for freezing.

Inside scoop on WM, the "remodel" isn't just a remodel. Each store will be more individualized for what they sell. If they sell more electronics than toys, than toys dept shrinks and the electronics expands. It goes for types of groceries, too. Ours was carrying shelf stable soy milk and they have basically stopped (and our remodel hasn't started). Also, I think they are trying to not keep shelves stocks like they use to, I've had to buy a different brand of frid soy milk because they haven't stocked plain in their brand in 4 months. We've been talking about getting a membership for COSTCO in addition to our one at Sam's.

DH and I have had an on-going discussion that people aren't as friendly as they use to be but they are getting downright rude. One of the owners of the farm we pick up most of our produce at made the comment to me the other day, that I'm always in a good mood and friendly to everyone there. I just smiled and said thanks but thought it odd that they are seeing more rude people.

Time to get little people ready for bed.

Dee~

The food section will change!!!!! I went into one of the other WM near us and the food section had completely changed. It took me 25 minutes to find one thing that they didn't have. They had management staff walking around and they would ask people who looked confused/lost if they needed help looking for something.

Oh big surprise they didn't have what I needed either. I'm at a point that if I need X amount of something, I'll buy at least one extra. It reminds me of the layout Meijer has.

Oh my gosh, we went to Wal-Mart today and everything (other than the food section) is changed. NOTHING is in the same place. I felt like I was an alien on Mars.

I said to heck with it and decided to get my powdered ice cream mix and leave. After looking for it I asked a clerk where it was. It's gone for the season she said. What do you mean it's gone, last winter they told me it was a summer item so I planned on stocking up. Sorry, she says, it was just in the clearance aisle last week and is gone for the season. Good grief, that wasn't even the middle of July yet.

Between changing the whle store around and not having my ice cream mix, I feel like I even have fewer reasons to shop at Wal-Mart.

Stores being out of things is becoming the norm anymore it seems like to me.

I even ordered something off E-bay the other day and after paying for it they said, sorry, it's out of stock and they don't know when it'll be reordered. The money was no problem, I'd done Pay Pal and it's taken care of but......

Had my second sleepless night last night. It occurred to me about 4 am that the roasted from the store chicken we had for dinner might have had MSG on it. Will check next time I am there. So I did not wash dogs today--another reprieve!

I guess my Walmart will get around to the food section eventually. It is so torn up now I hate to go there but it is the time to look for deals like on the material the other day.

I hope everyone had a fun and productive day!

Archived