MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning on an electic stove?

Carmen

I have an electric stove (with the metal coils) and found a water canning pot at goodwill and bought it. Then I saw it has ridges on the bottom and have read both that I shouldn't use it on an electric stove, and that I can and it will work fine. What have y'all found to be the case?

It will not make correct contact and should not be used. Only flat bottomed canners should be used on an electric stove. The ridged are only good for gas stoves.

Plus, you need a special canning element for your stove or you will destroy the element and wiring.

Not trying to argue, just sharing what's worked for us. :P The only waterbath canners I've ever seen sold in Canada, have ridged bottoms and everyone uses them on electric stoves just fine. I've been canning since I was a child on electric stoves and I've never had one damaged or blew a burner because of using it. They heat up just fine and boil just as well as on my wood stove. I've also used a hot plate before when we moved and didn't have a stove.

But I have heard that using them on the glass top stoves could be a problem. My large pressure canner had a note in the info not to use it, because the large size could crack the glass.

I'm not sure if you can even get a "canning element" in Canada. I had my dh ask once when I read about it and the appliance store owners thought he was nuts. :huh::P

Unless the ridged canners you have in the USA are different then the ones sold here?

I have also used a ridged water-bath canner on an electric-coil stove, and had no problems. Maybe it took longer to get to a boil than it would have on a gas, but I got it to a good, steady rolling boil for a long enough time. Likewise, using the large burner, I've had no problems. I would note that the coils have the three-four metal supports underneath, so make sure that your supports are good-- if one is rusted through, the weight of the canner may break it-- but if they are in cood condition, I've never had a problem.

I've also heard to be careful of the glass-top ranges, which can crack under the weight. But that's hearsay, so. . . *shrugs*

water bath canners ALL work on electric stoves (just not the glass top kinds). Some people use that wire thingy (Looks like a star) under the pot but it works without it just fine.

NOW -

Good for you to find one at goodwill as it saved you money and also helped someone from there. Most times we can find stuff like that and it is just about brand new - so why pay the high price for a new one when it will look just like the one you go in a few cannings? That way you have money for jars - and we get them there too.

enjoy your 'new' canner!

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Thanks for the input! Amishway, I love goodwill. I have found 2 canning jars at another local thrift store..got both for a quarter! So I guess I'm set, me and my two canning jars:D

Here you go, right from USDA/ Georgia Extension:

Boiling-water canners

These canners are made of aluminum or porcelain-covered steel. They have removable perforated racks and fitted lids. The canner must be deep enough so that at least 1 inch of briskly boiling water will be over the tops of jars during processing. Some boiling-water canners do not have flat bottoms. A flat bottom must be used on an electric range. Either a flat or ridged bottom can be used on a gas burner. To ensure uniform processing of all jars with an electric range, the canner should be no more than 4 inches wider in diameter than the element on which it is heated.

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/general/recomm_canners.html

Thanks Violet, I wasn't saying your information was wrong. I'm just saying that NO flat bottomed canners are sold in Canada that I have ever seen. They all have a gently ridged bottom. I looked at the image of the canner on that site, ours don't look quite like that. Know one up here would ever think to no use it on an electric stove. Unless your canners are ridged differently then ours or your electric burners are designed differently, it doesn't make sense to me as why they would say that... :shrug:

Thanks for the input! Amishway, I love goodwill. I have found 2 canning jars at another local thrift store..got both for a quarter! So I guess I'm set, me and my two canning jars:D

ONLY 2 jars :shrug: LOL

well ONE has to be for pasta sauce.....................

but WHAT to put in the other one? :feedme:

THAT would drive me nuts tring to think what I wanted most to can in That other jar? :faint3:

:AmishMichaelstraw:

There used to be flat bottomed aluminum canners. My boss has one. Now there are some on the market. Ball has a fancy new stainless one. Expensive, but nice.

The ridged bottoms only make contact where the ridges are against the element. As the canner sits on an electric element it just doesn't make total contact. Only being flat across the bottom can it do that.

I destroyed 2 electric stoves doing this. I also did not know you need a special heavy duty canning element. I learned the hard way.

Glad I have a gas stove now.

Here is one flat bottom canner :

http://www.canningsupply.com/product/0_Qua...CFQ9qgwodzDu85g

Here is another one :

http://www.amazon.com/Ball-Jar-1440010740-...?tag=dogpile-20

Archived