MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

"Nother Noobie Canning Question...

Mea

This is probably a "no brainer" to those who have been doing this for a while... but i tend to take new (to me) things Exactly as they are written .

The steam is vented for 10 minutes. ... but.... my bigger pressure canner has a lock thingy that pops up locking the canner when it would be too dangerous for the lid to come off. Question is.... Do i wait for the lock to *pop-up* before counting the ten minutes ?? Or do i count from when it starts blowing steam thru the main vent ?? It will start blowing steam a bit before the lock locks.

Thank You. :bow:

I wait until the air vent/cover lock is up (in place) and then do the 10 minutes of steam. I have a presto and it shows the air vent up with the steam is being exhausted in the photos in the instruction/recipe manual.

Hope that helps! Happy canning

I wait until the air vent/cover lock is up (in place) and then do the 10 minutes of steam. I have a presto and it shows the air vent up with the steam is being exhausted in the photos in the instruction/recipe manual.

so how much time is it between when the steam starts and the air vent/cover lock is up ?

I would think if it was just a few minutes you could go eather way. But if it is like 15 minutes or moe then you are wasting time and fuel. :shrug:

we have always counted from when the steam starts a hissing at us. ;)

Happy Canning Everyone - Don't you Love that the hotest time of the year is the Best time to can. LOL

:AmishMichaelstraw:

so how much time is it between when the steam starts and the air vent/cover lock is up ?

I would think if it was just a few minutes you could go eather way. But if it is like 15 minutes or moe then you are wasting time and fuel. :shrug:

we have always counted from when the steam starts a hissing at us. ;)

Happy Canning Everyone - Don't you Love that the hotest time of the year is the Best time to can. LOL

:AmishMichaelstraw:

On my Presto, it seems to take about three or four minutes before the lock..locks. that is why i posed the question. Does it really matter as long as steam is blowing out ?

as i said... i take directions Literally. If "the book" says do xyz... that's what i will do. The book only says " let the steam vent 10 minutes " .

And JA, so Much fun canning in the heat. In a Hot kitchen !!! :P

It is best to wait for the lid lock. That way you know it is venting fully.

Then... that is what i shall do. Thank You.

Archived