MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Jam Making 101

Mea

Today, i've been busy making jam. It is kinda fun and the thought of all that yummyness this winter, makes me rather pleased with the work.

As usual... i have questions. ( who would ever have thought it ! :rolleyes: )

Recipies are not all the same.. .... The Ball Blue Book makes no mention of using lemon juice when making Blueberry jam. The Sure-Jell box does. Probably Certo has yet another idea. Who do i follow ? I can understand putting lemon on the peaches to prevent browning... but What does it add to Blueberries ??

Times... Ball Blue Book has peach jam processing time as 15 minutes. The berries at 10 minutes. Sure-Jell says 10 for both.

Ja, i'm getting a bit confused.

Also... the foam.... It is quite difficult to skim every bit of it off the jam. Seems as tho i'm taking half of my jam with it ! What "harm" does a bit of foam do to the jam, if any ??

This is it for this moment in time. I'm pretty certain that i will have many more questions Before this canning season is done. Thank you. :bouquet:

It depends upon how much pectin is added, what kind of pectin, etc.

To get a gel you have these things that have to be in balance.

Acid

Sugar

Fruit

Pectin

Each kind of pectin will be different. Each fruit is different in acid and pectin content. Just follow the recipe you want and follow it exactly to get the right gel.

You add a 1/2 tsp. of butter or margarine to keep down the foam. Try to get it off as much as you can. It is air and you want to get as much air out of jars when you can.

I would suggest you take that free online course at the NCHFP. That and read their website and study the information there so you can learn the basics. It will help you so much.

Thank You so much. I've bookmarked to site and will make time to work thru it. That way i won't keep posting those Noobie Questions all the time. ( i hope )

I love to see Violet's responses, they have never failed to confirmed the knowledge of my youth. (Thank you Violet for all the info you share.)

My hardest recipe to adjust, was Saguaro & Pomegranate. The acidity of the fruit took some time to determine.

{eta: spelling}

Archived