MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

A few questions

LindaLou

Okay. Now I am armed with my new AA canner, supplies and books (which have made me afraid to can because of botulism). First question I have is which jars are better, wide mouth or not. Do most of you use quart or pint? Want to start my first canning project soon. Looking to can meat and thinking of raw chicken first. Saw some YouTube how to videos but still unsure. My county extension doesn't have their next canning class until October. Also, heating your jars before putting what you are going to can in...does anybody use the dishwasher or do you all just put them in a 180 degree pot of water? Any little helpful hints for the first project will be appreciated.

I wish Violet made house calls. Sigh.

Sorry for the clear as mud opinions but.....

It depends on the situation for what I use pint/quart; regular/wide mouth. I tend to use wide mouth (pints) for green beans and salsa. The beans are easier to get out of the widemouth. Someone here, I think, said they used widemouth for salsa because it's the perfect size for chips to fit in (and they are right!). I use regular mouth pints for corn, tomatoes, etc because they are easy to get in and out. We have stuck with pints, excluding pickles, tomatoes (occasionally) and potatoes just for portion size. I use quarts for chicken soup, vegetable stock, and grape juice since we usually need anywhere from 16 to 48 oz at a time. I use 1/2 pint and pints for jam and pie filling.

I wash the jars in the dishwasher and if I've timed it correctly, pull the steaming jars straight from the dishwasher (I have a sanitize cycle and heat dry) but if I can't keep up I put them in the water in the canner since it's usually were it should be. I also use a small crockpot (dip size) for the lids to keep them at temp - checked with Violet and it's alright as long as water is at correct temp.

Hope this helps a little.

Happy Canning! :canning:

Welcome to the wonderful world of canning LindaLou!

As to which jars to use for me it depends on what I am canning. For chicken I find it is better to use wide mouths since it is eaiser to get the chicken out of the jar. And for meats I use quarts mainly. Corn, beans, taters, juice's, chili, etc., I use small mouth jars. I wash my jars in the dishwasher and try to time it so I get them out when they are still hot. Sometimes I need to wear gloves to handle them they are so hot.

It would be hard for me to suggest a first project. It would depend on what it available to can. Chicken can be a good first project as it is simple to can. Make sure to skin the chicken first. I have done boneless and bone it with very good results and the flavor is beyond belief. Some of us have been know to hold hands with folks over the phone during their first session. Let us know if you need us.

:wormie2:

John

Archived