MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

recomended canning books?

Trudy

I'm making an order to amazon for the "Small Batch/Ellie Topp" and "Ball Complete(is 2006 the newest edition?) but I need 1 more book or $10 to get free shipping. Can anyone recomend another book with safe/approved canning recipes? I already have BBB, So Easy To Preserve, and USDA Complete Guide to Home canning. :shrug:

Hi Vic, I checked all 3 of them and they all looked good, but the first one had some really different information in it. It's all about making jams and jellies without added pectin and that alone would save a lot of money. There are a lot of low sugar-no sugar recipes too, and that is good for me with diabetes. I think it will be on the top of my list! Thanks for the ideas. Sorry I was gone a while. It's been a long day and I nodded off for a bit! :blush:

• 4 weeks later...

I went to WalMart to pick up some jelly jars and spotted a new canning book-Better Homes and Gardens "You Can Can / Special Edition ( copyright 2010). It was right by a new shipment of BBB, so I bought one. I'm checking it out now. There is a Jalapeno Jelly recipe that I want to try (it's made with cranberry juice and liquid pectin). But I have noticed a corn relish made with cornstarch and a pickled cauliflower recipe with 2 T. of olive oil ! So glad that I've learned enough here to spot some things not safe to do. Thanks you guys. :thumbs:

Archived