MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Excalibur dehydrator?

Carmen

Hey someoen's selling this on craigslist for $25, said it's never been used but doens't come with the manual. I don't know how many racks it holds, I'm emailed that question but haven't gotten a reply. It looks pretty old but should it be good? Here's a picture.

post-2113-1286592423_thumb.jpg

Probably 5 trays is my guess. It is worth $25 for sure. However, you cannot expand it like the one I showed you before on Amazon. Plus, this one is not as many watts, either.

You only get the trays it comes with since they just slide in and out of the box.

Was there a reason you did not like the one I showed you before ? It is a personal preference just what kind you like.

Me, I like the Nesco/American Harvest the best since I can use up to 12 trays per unit. Plus getting extra racks and things are really easy.

Honestly, I didn't see anything wrong with the one on Amazon but we decided we didn't want to spend the money on one right then. Then I just happened to see this one on craigslist and was curious. I'll have to go back and see what the one on Amazon costs. She emailed me back, it's 9 racks.

Here's a different picture..it shows the trays. It kinda looks like everything would fall through the normal trays (not hte mesh one) is that true or just the picture looks?

It's missing the flexible plastic pieces like in the second shelf, but those are easily replaced! Some people just use the plastic cross-stitch sheets.

EXCELLENT deal! That looks just like mine, and it's not old. I'd buy it in a second!!!

I can scan & email the manual if we can't find it online.

It's exactly like mine also and I bought extra mesh liners online. I have mine full almost all the time. Love it. If I could find one for that price I would have a second one. Great deal.

This is where I bought my mesh liners but maybe you could make your own. I don't know if they have food grad plastic mesh or not but I'm going to find out. This looks just like the plastic that my kids used to do crafts with only it's food grade. http://www.harvestessentials.com/expoltraylin.html

Someone who does alot of dehydrating told me that she uses parchment paper taped at the corners with duct tape (to hold it down) for making fruit rollups. I haven't tried that yet but the special liners they sell for it are expensive and also the parchment paper is disposable. She said that the duct tape is the only tape she could find that would stick during the dehydrating and she says it doesn't leave a sticky residue.

My 9 shelf will hold 4 #10 cans of drained sliced peaches (from Costco) at one time and it will also hold one regular size bag of frozen vegetables per shelf. This gives you an idea of how much you can do at one time. I love it, love it, love it!

If you need mesh trays for herbs and small things you can use nylon window screen cut to fit. Just as long as it is not galvanized metal.

The only thing about parchment is that it doesn't have a lip around it . You can also get those cheap flexible cutting mats and use them. Sometimes the dollar stores have them in assorted colors.

The dehydrator is a bargain, Dolls .

If you need mesh trays for herbs and small things you can use nylon window screen cut to fit. Just as long as it is not galvanized metal.

The only thing about parchment is that it doesn't have a lip around it . You can also get those cheap flexible cutting mats and use them. Sometimes the dollar stores have them in assorted colors.

The dehydrator is a bargain, Dolls .

Good ideas, I don't know why I don't think of these things for myself. I guess I'm just so nervous that I will do the wrong thing that I read what others do and borrow their ideas. I really like the flexible cutting mats at the dollar store. I see them cheap everywhere. What a great idea!

Well I bought it! It is this one (http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/9-Tray-Large-Excalibur-with-26-hour-Timer-3926T-28-37-regular-prod.htm) and it seems to work just fine (the fan comes on) and looks brand new. No manual though but that's ok, I figure I can find one online. The only problem is it's missing those screens (it only came with one) but I'll replace them. Since I saved about $200 I figure I can afford to replace the screens!

Violet in the end I decided to go with it b/c it was cheaper than the Nesco (though only by 20 bucks) so at least if it ends up we don't use it too much, we still got the best deal we could. The inability to expand is a downfall, but if we end up using it so much we need more room, I'll just scout out craigslist for another used one! It seems less wasteful to have bought a used one that ends up not used, than a brand new one. But I have a feeling we'll use it! My husband is already planning out what he can dehydrate!!

The only negative to this wonderful deal is I 'bumped' into someone's car after I picked it up. It just scuffed paint up on their car, but cracked my bumper:( So it's a good thing I saved so much money, b/c I'll be spending it on their new paint job!

Oh, and do you collect dolls or what does your name mean, if I may ask ?

Yes, I love dolls and have a very nice collection of child size dolls as well as very realistic baby dolls.

post-7662-1286670937_thumb.jpg

post-7662-1286670984_thumb.jpg

post-7662-1286671030_thumb.jpg

Are there any other doll collectors here on this board?

Oh, and do you collect dolls or what does your name mean, if I may ask ?

Are there any other doll collectors here on this board?

I don't collect dolls, but I do have a collection of old dolls I got when Grandma died. I have no idea how to go about finding a buyer for them.

Archived