MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

does any one have a recipe for pecan maple plait?

I have found a rather nice pastry in the supermarket called a maple pecan or pecan maple plait. It is a sweet pastry, possibly puff pastry or something similar to croisants. The inside has a filling with maple flaours, it isn't a jam but I am not sure how to describe it. There a few pecans through the filling but they are mainly on the top of the pastry. the top is possibly brushed with more syrup? Does anyone have a recipe for something like it?

Thanks Gofish, I saw that one - not sure that the filling is quite what I am looking for. The filling is light in colour, looks more like a thickened syrup. I would have thought there were a few bits of nut in the filling, rather than the roasted 'paste'

It is quite different. I have wondered about the filling for a pecan pie, but that is too heavy (Colour and texture)

I looked around on the net and got a variety of substitutes, but not 'the real thing' It appears to have originated out of Scandinavia. I might have to experiment. Just a little reluctant to as real maple syrup is rather expensive here.

Here's one.... might it be similar? But with a "saucier/wetter" filling, maybe...

~~~~~

MAPLE PECAN STREUSEL WREATH

Original recipe from Family Circle Magazine, December 20, 1988.

Butter Sweet Dough:

2 envelopes dry yeast

1 tsp sugar

1/2 c very warm water (105°F to 115°)

4 3/4 to 5 c flour

1/3 c sugar

2 tsp salt

Grated rind of one orange

1/2 tsp ground nutmeg OR ground mace

1 c unsalted butter, cold, and cut into pieces

3/4 c milk

4 egg yolks

Sprinkle yeast and 1 tsp sugar over very warm water in small bowl. Stir to dissolve yeast. Let stand until bubbly, about 10 minutes.

Combine 4 1/2 c flour, sugar, salt, orange rind andnutmeg inlarbe bowl of electric mixer. On low speed, cut in butter until conisitance of fine crubms. Make a well in center. Stir in milk, yolks and yeast mixture. Gradually add enough of the remaining flour to make a stiff dough, working dough well; scrape down bowl occasionally.

Form dough into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap. Seal bowl with dough in larg plastic bag. Refridgerate for 8 hours; dough will be very firm, but ready to work with.

Punch dough down. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Divide dough into thirds. Work with one portion at at time and keep remaining two portions covered and refridgerated. Do not allow dough to soften.

Maple-Pecan Nut Streusel

2/3 c sugar

2/3 c plus 1 T flour

1/3 c butter, cut up

2 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp maple extract

1/2 c pecans

Combine sugar, the 2/3 c flour, butter, cinnamon and maple extract in food processor. Whirl at high speed until crumbly. Add pecans. Whirl until pecans are finely chopped. Transfer to bowl and refridgerate. When cool, crumble with fingers. Sprinkel with 1 T flour and blend in.

Assemble as follows.

Prepare baking sheet: Cut heavy duty foil to fit baking sheet. Cover sheet with foil, smoothing and folding edges underneath. Spray foil with cooking spray or lightly grease with shortening. Set aside.

Shape 1/3 cold, firm dough into a thick rectangle. Roll dough out on lightly floured surface to a rectangle 20 to 22 inches long and 6 inches wide. Brush with 1 1/2 tsp melted butter. Sprinkle with streusel. Lightly moisten lower edge with water. Roll up from long side, maintaining an even thickness. Flatten roll slightly with rolling pin, stretching it to 24 inches long. Shape into a ring in prepared sheet. Moisten ends and pinch together to join.

With scissors held at slight angle to top of ring, cut a diagonal slice through the top of the ring almost through to the bottom. Slice will be long and pointed. With index finger, pull slice toward outside so that filling shows. Make another slanting cut to right of first, pull slice to inside so that filling shows. Continue counter clockwise all around, cutting and positioning slices one at a time.

Cover and let rise until double, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375°. Brush coffee cake with 1 egg whisked with 1 T water. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350°F and continue baking for 10 more minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool. Decorate with cherries, if you wish.

http://home.flash.net/~apereira/Kitchen/Secrets/fsbread.htm

~~~~~

I'm guessing that what you want is a syrupy kind of pecan mixture, maybe similar to this recipe at Mrs S, about halfway down the page.

CANNED PECANS

2 c water

1 (40 oz) bottle of dark (Karo) syrup

2 (16 oz) bottles of clear (Karo) syrup

1 box of light brown sugar

2 Tbsp maple flavoring

4 qt shelled pecans

Toast pecans on cookie sheets in an oven of 250-300 degrees F until crispy.

In large kettle, mix everything but pecans, bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, skim off foam, remove from heat, stir in pecans. Put mixture in pint jars water bath 10 minutes.

Makes 9 pints.

*Syrup mixture will thicken when cooled.

*May be made with chopped pecans for finer texture, if you prefer.

Notice that it uses maple flavoring, not maple syrup, which can be pretty expensive in some areas.

http://mrssurvival.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19525&st=0&p=134324&hl=pecans&fromsearch=1entry134324

2 c water - ok I understand that one - even have some at my place!!

1 (40 oz) bottle of dark (Karo) syrup - dark corn syrup? I will have to think that one through, I have only seen a light corn syrup here

2 (16 oz) bottles of clear (Karo) syrup - ok pretty sure I can get that at the supermarket

1 box of light brown sugar How much weight in a box? or what about a cup measurement?

2 Tbsp maple flavoring is this like an imitation syrup?

4 qt shelled pecans I reckon I can convert this measurement :)

Thank you - I feel ok about trying this (might need to make the recipe smaller though, that is a lot of canned pecans!

Karo syrups are variations of corn syrup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karo_%28syrup%29

I *think* that a lighter molasses might be a good substitute for dark Karo syrup.

Brown sugar should be a one pound box.

Maple flavoring is like vanilla... a concentrated flavoring.

If you're just mixing up a small amount, you could use an imitation maple syrup for both the corn syrup and the flavoring, but you'd have to play with it, taste it, and be sure to cook it (like you'd be canning this mixture). It turns out thick and syrupy. Kind of the texture of stirred-up-into-soup ice cream. ;)

Archived