MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Ground Turkey

I have a question to toss out there for anyone interested in answering...

I desperately want to can some ground turkey, since we don't eat a lot of beef. When I make burgers, taco, etc, I always use ground turkey.

Is it safe to can ground turkey following the instructions for ground beef? I'm not sure if the processing times would be different or anything.

Also, could I substitute pork for beef in the beef stew recipe from the Ball Blue Book? I know that we're not usually supposed to make substitutions, so if I cannot do either of these things I'll probably just reintroduce beef back into our diets in limited amounts.

Thanks!! :canning:

• 1 month later...

I have a question to toss out there for anyone interested in answering...

I desperately want to can some ground turkey, since we don't eat a lot of beef. When I make burgers, taco, etc, I always use ground turkey.

Is it safe to can ground turkey following the instructions for ground beef? I'm not sure if the processing times would be different or anything.

Also, could I substitute pork for beef in the beef stew recipe from the Ball Blue Book? I know that we're not usually supposed to make substitutions, so if I cannot do either of these things I'll probably just reintroduce beef back into our diets in limited amounts.

Thanks!! :canning:

I have canned ground turkey and ground turkey breast following the ground beef recipe and have had it stored for a couple of years now. We eat at least a jar a week. I made a MAJOR score on it a couple of years ago, took me a couple of days to get it all canned up. I use it just like beef, the only difference is it is VERY lean. For MOST things I have to add some canola oil to make it taste right.

It makes really great taco meat!

Edited by Robert Z

I have another turkey question--I usually roast a turkey when I have time, then pull the meat off the bones and food processor it up into "fine ground" turkey. Can I can this like I would regular ground turkey? OR do I can it in chunks and then shred when I open the jar?

...oh yum...I'm just imagining this canned in veggie broth...

I need to get to the store next week.... :mornincoffee:

• 1 year later...

LOL - I've been wondering about this myself. So, I did a google search and this is the first link! I should have looked at "home" before traipsing off to the www!

This is good to know. I've been replacing the ground beef we eat with ground turkey and I was wondering about canning it using the seasoned gr. beef recipe from the Ball Book. This is one of my "fast food" meals but I would like to have the healthier alternative of turkey instead of beef. I think I'll give it a try!