MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need help with my new dehydrator

Midnightmom

Thought I'd shake the dust off of this place and knock down some cobwebs. Doesn't look like anybody's been in here in a looooooooooooooong time!

I just scored a 4 shelf Excaliber dehydrator for $40! Problem is, it's missing the door. :sEm_blush: Short of buying a new one from the website ($20 + $10 s/h) can I improvise a cover? Any help would be appreciated. Specially from you Cat. :girlneener:

Thought I'd shake the dust off of this place and knock down some cobwebs. Doesn't look like anybody's been in here in a looooooooooooooong time!

I just scored a 4 shelf Excaliber dehydrator for $40! Problem is, it's missing the door. :sEm_blush: Short of buying a new one from the website ($20 + $10 s/h) can I improvise a cover? Any help would be appreciated. Specially from you Cat. :girlneener:

MOI???? :sEm_blush:

The cover/door for the Excalibur isn't really airtight anyway. It kind of rests on a shelf ledge at the top. I'm guessing it needs to pull in some of the outside air to properly dry the foods and take out the humidity.

I would try something solid and probably duct-tape it to the top. Cardboard might have toxins in it, with the printing, etc. Maybe a plastic food storage lid that covers the hole but isn't sealed tightly against it?

If you can, it would be nice to get a new lid. EBay might have one some time.

I am kind of disgusted by the info at the Excalibur site. They don't want to tell you up front what shipping will cost. But the cover itself costs $18.

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/

Try Lowe's or Home Depot for a piece of plexiglass. I have seen that at times they will have cut off pieces that they will sell cheaply or just give them away. That way you can see how things are drying without removing the door. My 0.02.

:wormie2:

John

MOI???? :sEm_blush:

The cover/door for the Excalibur isn't really airtight anyway. It kind of rests on a shelf ledge at the top. I'm guessing it needs to pull in some of the outside air to properly dry the foods and take out the humidity.

I would try something solid and probably duct-tape it to the top. Cardboard might have toxins in it, with the printing, etc. Maybe a plastic food storage lid that covers the hole but isn't sealed tightly against it?

If you can, it would be nice to get a new lid. EBay might have one some time.

I am kind of disgusted by the info at the Excalibur site. They don't want to tell you up front what shipping will cost. But the cover itself costs $18.

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/

I know. I had to pretend to want to order the cover. Got all the way to the "enter your payment information" screen before I found out that the s/h would be $10!!!

Good idea about a food storage cover Cat. And thanks for the idea about plexi-glass wormguy.

What about using some of the magnetic tape stuff and putting on the edge, then finding something to put on the magnets to hold it on ?

Often I get free fridge magnets from places and you can cut the rubberized magnet stuff and use it.

I like Wormies plexiglass idea if it is not too heavy to be held on with the magnetic tape.

Archived