MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I don't have all the spices

ScrubbieLady

Allspice is kind of like nutmeg and cinnamon, but there's not a good substitute for dry mustard that I know of.

From Wikipedia:

The name "allspice" was coined as early as 1621 by the English, who thought it combined the flavour of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.

I'd go with getting the spices, so you know your recipe will be the way it's supposed to be. After you try it that way, later experimenting can be against *that* as a measure.

:bighug2:

If you have yellow curry powder, it's mostly dry mustard. I have used curry powder in pickling, and it worked out very well. If you don't have curry powder either, you could try turmeric, but use a bit more and expect it to have more bitter, less sharp in the flavor. For allspice, try pumpkin pie spice as a first choice, apple pie spice as a second choice, and plain nutmeg as a third choice.

If you have yellow curry powder, it's mostly dry mustard. I have used curry powder in pickling, and it worked out very well. If you don't have curry powder either, you could try turmeric, but use a bit more and expect it to have more bitter, less sharp in the flavor. For allspice, try pumpkin pie spice as a first choice, apple pie spice as a second choice, and plain nutmeg as a third choice.

As a matter of fact, I have turmeric and I always keep pumpkin pie spice on hand. My recipe also calls for cinnamon and ground cloves. If I use the pumpkin pie spice, should I not use them?

Cat, the only thing about getting the spices is it is 18 miles to a store that will carry them but maybe I can catch someone going that way.

Thanks both of you.

As a matter of fact, I have turmeric and I always keep pumpkin pie spice on hand. My recipe also calls for cinnamon and ground cloves. If I use the pumpkin pie spice, should I not use them?

Cat, the only thing about getting the spices is it is 18 miles to a store that will carry them but maybe I can catch someone going that way.

Thanks both of you.

Pumpkin pie spice is heavy on the cloves, so I wouldn't use those, and I would add only half the amount of cinnamon called for. Cloves can pretty easily bully other flavors into total submission. If you have prepared mustard, you could add a dab of that along with the turmeric.

Archived