MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Gingerbread Houses

Remember me? LOL New holiday tradition lady :)

Dh will have to work on Christmas day. Since the kids and I won't be attending family functions I am looking for something to do early that day before dinner preparations. I have never made a gingerbread house. I've never seen anyone make a gingerbread house. LOL I saw the kits at walmart where all you do is decorate but I thought that might take some of the spirit of the season away - and how good would they be if the kids decided to eat on them? But I need someone to tell me how to make the gingerbread and then how to decorate. Help please!

Blessings,

Carie

How old are the kids? If they're smaller, you could start this year by using graham crackers instead of gingerbread. That way the decorating is the fun and the focus and it doesn't disappoint if the "wall" or "roof" breaks. And they can make a whole "town" of them. :happy0203:

The teachers at school tried it with that big group of kids, and everyone was successful. And we did it here when my kids were small.

And there's no shame in using a kit from the store the first time. You'd get a feel for how it is put together, and then next time you'll be ready to try it "your way". ;)

I'll try to find some links for you this evening.

There are some really cool cast iron baking pans that create fun houses and other buildings on eBay, if you someday decide to play with it seriously. Most have 2 sides for more variety. But I wouldn't buy one until you know you like doing it.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=gingerbread+%2B+cast+iron&_sacat=0&_odkw=gingerbread&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

I have the PERFECT gingerbread house recipe for you!

Rebecca’s Gingerbread

1/2 C. Butter

2 1/2 C. Flour

1/2 C. Sugar

1/2 C. Molassas

1 egg

1 tsp. Baking Soda

1 tsp. Ground Ginger

1 tsp. Cinnamon

1 tsp. Nutmeg

1/2 tsp. Ground Cloves

Mix butter/sugars, add 1/2 the flour, then eggs, molassas, baking soda, spices, and then the rest of the flour until combined. Divide dough in half, chill 3 hrs.

Grease cookie sheet. Roll out to 1/8 in. thickness and cut out in shapes. Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven 5-6 min or until edges are firm. Cool 1 min and then transfer to wire rack to cool. Makes about 36 cookies. Triple the recepie to make a gingerbread house.

I use this to make my gingerbread house as well. It's a very tasty gingerbread and holds up well for decorating gingerbread people :)

Icing- A bag of powdered sugar, 2 T. Butter- mix in till you can't see it, and enough liquid to make it just a little bit past spreading thickness (I use milk but you can use water)

Oh and some tips for making the house. I use a cardboard box, and "butter" the gingerbread pieces with icing to glue then to the box. I use a plain file folder to hold up the roof. Make the house the night before so the icing has time to harden. Have fun!

thanks ladies!

Maybe I will buy the kits and try to make a little of the real stuff....that way the kids can work on something that will work and I can play with the homemade stuff....btw...the kids are boys ages 13, 10 and 3....Abby is too little at 7 months :)

Thanks again!

Carie

Archived