MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Amish with cell phones??

kathy003

Ok, so we now live near an Amish population. I think I must read to many books,, I was very surprised to learn that the Amish around us have cell phones, it seems they have one to a family. We get our slab wood from the Amish and they offered us their cell phone number. I guess in my mind I pictured them to live with no modern technology. At first I thought they were Mennonites, but they did say they were Amish. I'm not sure if they use any other modern technology. They do some shopping at the Save A Lot by me, they are very friendly people.

Do you find the Amish use modern technology?

Around here, it started as a semi-public telephone located in nearby areas. They built them in a fully-enclosed little building with a locking door, and participating families had a key. They would use the phones as needed. Then they got voice mail for their own messages.

Now many around here have cell phones which they charge using their generators or solar chargers. Many of the younger ones get on the internet with them, which the parents may not know about.

It started as a business thing, so that those owning or working in an important business could stay current and grow the business. But like so much more, it's evolved into a social network, too. It's MUCH easier to call than to hitch up the buggy or ride a bike.

The local Bishops determine what each local group can use or do. That's why you'll get into some areas where rubber buggy tires are not allowed, but the next one may. Bishops are chosen by "lot" - a name pulled from a Bible after much prayer, so it's believed they are chosen by God's will to lead the community.

That is interesting, and I can certainly understand why they would want a phone to grow their business,, after all, i wear my cell phone on my hip and it's not even for business use.

I guess I always thought it was nice to *think* their society doesn't change, but I guess even that changes.

One of my cousins married into a sect that is extremely strict. It's in Maine, I believe.

The husband is the head of the house to the point of being physically as well as verbally and psychologically abusive. And *her* husband is paranoid about not having "fat" people in the family. Even when she was pregnant and needed the extra nutrition, he withheld food.

It was shocking and very sad to see them the few times they came to a family reunion in Indiana, where a carry-in dinner with lots of food is the norm. Her family sat apart, and the parents controlled the portion size *very* carefully while all around them everyone was piling food on their plates. Even the youngest was painfully thin, to the point of looking unhealthy.

I think he's just an oddly mentally ill man, myself, but the support of his church fed what he did to his family. :(

I've been reading a few books written by Wanda Brunstetter. They are basically Amish-themed romances but they paint a nice portrait of the lifestyle. For someone like me who is not really close to an Amish area, it is sort of like peeking in the window on the culture. Her website answers a lot of questions about the Amish people and her books include some of the Amish language.

http://www.wandabrunstetter.com/

As Cat said it depends on the Bishops. I know the Amish are the biggest users of solar around here. I've seen the same toys I have gotten my kids in their shopping carts at Christmas.

I know where they do drug rehab and don't get me started on the buggy that has refectors that spiral around the wheels.You can definiteny see it in the dark.

the buggy that has refectors that spiral around the wheels.You can definiteny see it in the dark.

Imagining those reflecting spirals in the dark. Kinda hypnotizing.

I am just shaking my head at all the things you are saying.........

So if they are doing all that - why not just get rid of the buggys, wear 'normal' clothes, get electric and computers and join the rest of the world?

The whole idea (for the most part) is to live the 'simple life' and stay close to family and friends.

THAT is what we love about them!

I think if it wasn't for this site and a few other places ( like our website) on the web I could get rid of this computer and still live? :shrug:

The van we need to get around, but if we din't have it things would work out. Lori would just stop going to working and we would settle in.

:AmishMichael2:

I used to think that the Amish didn't even have refrigerators until I heard about the propane powered ones. I also read something about how each community's ordnung weighs the value of new technology before deciding to accept or reject it.

In an article that I read, the particular community being discussed embraced electricity as long as it was generated by gas powered generators. They rejected electricity if it came into a house through the electric company wires. The reasoning was that they (Amish) could control the amount of electricity and how it was used if they were forced to ration it with a gasoline powered generator. With the power lines, they felt that if they allowed them to be strung up in their area, then the Enlgish would have to interfere in their lives more frequently to maintain them. I thought that it showed a particular depth of thought about the matter. It wasn't just a yes-no type of a decision. They must have spent a bit of time on it, carefully weighing the good and the bad.

That same community used tractors, but they also required that the tires be flattened to discourage people from trying to use them as transportation. I think that there is a lot to be said about living a simpler way of life. There just aren't as many "things" to be concerned about.

As far as cell phones go... I wonder if the Amish with the cell phones are using them for business because then there would be no lines that have to be maintained? Or would it be something allowed for rumspringa? As far as internet goes though... I thin k they'd want to nip that in the bud...There is no way to really control access and the ideas, photos, etc... are more than enough to make the English blush, let alone exposing the Amish to those negative influences.

Here is one blogger's take on the cell phone issue...It is near the end of the post:

http://jude8753.com/...heir-wild-oats/

There was a blog that I used to read that was written by a young Amish man who was in the period of rumspringa. He was trying to figure out whether or not to join the Amish church and he was living in a city somewhere. Lemme see if I can find it...It was quite interesting...

Ok... I couldn't find the one that I used to read but here is a new one. This is about a girl named Kate who is going through rumspringa and will be expected to join the Amish church when she finishes high school. It appears that she was not raised Amish but will be converting to the faith...hence the blogging...

http://journeytoamish.blogspot.com/

good point.

I think, in some areas anyway, they are just 'trying' to make life a bit earier for the young ones as they grow up and marry.

Just like out there in the real world youg folks today have thing that even their parents never had.

As for the Amish maybe it is a way of keeping them in the commmunity so they don't move out to be able to live life a bit easier with 'modern' convences.

For some Amish Life is hard.

:AmishMichael2:

Archived