MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Going once going twice...

Christy

And.... we have a winner! DS had the flu with me over Christmas right into the end of january. It was a beast of a flu.

Finally recovered and happy to start the next semester again, he came back last tuesday from uni looking kinda green in the face.

Coughing like a chainsaw with a stutter and feeling weird.

Poor man didn't make it to uni yesterday which is no wonder seeing his fever went up 39C.

He voluntarily went to the GP today which is something he only does when threatened with physical violence normally. It's a man's thing.

And indeed, a different virus got hold of him just two weeks after he recovered from the Mexican flu.

He's asleep on codeine now (dr's prescription) and I'll wake him in an hour. His bed is drenched with sweat when I checked on him and he's shivering from fever.

At the pharmacy they told me there's a funky virus doing the rounds that kicks in right after recovery from the Mexican flu. One of their employees was down as well with the same thing.

So just that you know...

Ladies, never in his 28 years have I seen Arik this ill. Not the pneumonia, not the mother of all hangovers that cured him from drinking too much, not when his back gave in.

He sat on the couch last night cos I had taken his bedlinen off, in the laundry and the bed needed to air. Even the molton (heavy flannel) undersheet was drenched.

He held his head in his hand and was too far gone to remember to drink at regular intervals.

From asking around, there are more people with the same pattern. Mexican flu first, two weeks ok and then this hits.

If I'd be at the BOL, he could easily be one of the 10-or-so that die from the flu here weekly. Just too knocked out to take care of himself and that's NEVER happened before.

Miki, you are still not well? Voice cracked from coughing too much or a throat infection?

Sounds like you had it bad there. Good to know you have someone at your side to take care of ou when you are too ill.

All the strength.

Right! Just had the weekend dr here to check up on Arik. He was getting worse instead of better and last night he had diarrhoea. Bad case of it.

Between sweating from fever so his bed needs changing every day and now too low temp, it was time to call the GP weekend clinic.

They try to make you come there but I promised them seven kinds of hell if they didn't send a dr here within two hours.

Indeed within half an hour they came and they saw he is desorientated, shivering with cold fever, earinfection, how-do-you-call-it-in-English forehead inside and under the eyes cavity infected. Explains the splitting headaches.

Going on both anti-biotics and penicilline now. Plus a hormone nasal spray to get rid of the festering bacteria there.

He thought it was OTT to call for the dr. His answers to questions of the dr made no sense. He'd forgotten what day it is, when the headaches started and couldn't remember he collapsed on the floor friday. He could not remember what his temps were or that he had been sweating. Meanwhile the laundrymachine is doing overtime here.

In short, he is so out cold, he's not really realizing what's happening.

We can only be thankful I'm in the country to take care of him and not be ill myself. Not sure if he'd have the sense to drink at regular intervals to avoid dehydration and change bedlinen.

Well, he wouldn't have the strength to do that anyway.

So I'm off to the hospital where the weekend pharmacy is and get his meds.

Post-fall I'm not sure what would pull him through. Also if we had livestock and I had to do it alone, we'd be stuffed.

Thank you for the prayers and well wishes. Yes it is strange that he is so far gone he's not understanding everything anymore. It's not the present that worries me. He's got meds, a warm home and good care so he'll be fine.

Just had to change his mattrass cos the thing is wet, not moist but wet!

I'm shuddering to think of post-fall. No meds, perhaps a colder house, no washingmachine, no hot showers.

In the figures they post weekly how many died this week of the current flu are not just the elderly and infirm. There are a lot of people his age, young and strong.

Makes me wonder eh?

Archived