MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Flat bottom canner?

I'm getting a new gas range, and the manual says that I should only use a flat-bottom canner on it. I have a water bath canner (that's all I do), but it has ridges on the bottom. I know the steam canner I used to have was flat, but I threw it out because I read that it wasn't safe to can in.

Can someone steer me in the direction of a flat bottom water bath canner? Or do I need to upgrade to a pressure canner?

Thanks!

That makes no sense to me since the ridge canners are normally safe for a gas range, but not an electric of any sort. A big stockpot will work for you, or a pressure canner if you get the 23 qt. size. It would be tall enough for a boiling water bath, and they you can use it for both purposes.

What brand of gas stove are you getting ? I love my gas stove.

The steam canner was not safe to use, so it was good you got rid of it. It would not have been tall enough to use as a BWB canner. I highly recommend the Presto 23 qt. pressure canner if you want a good one to start with. I prefer it over an All American. I don't want to mess with those big clamps on the AA canners. I can't lift them, anyway, due to the weight.

What brand of gas stove are you getting ? I love my gas stove.

I'm getting an Electrolux. I figured that the flat bottom requirement must have something to do with the way a ridged bottom would sit on the grate. Thanks for the tip - I'll look into the Presto. Couldn't afford an AA anyway!

The smooth bottoms are recommended because of their continuous grates layout in order to make the pans/pots easier to slide from burner to burner.

In other words, it is just a recommendation not a requirement. The book says:

Designed for cooking multiple dishes at varying temperatures on a single cooktop. These grates allow easy movement of even the heaviest pots and pans from burner to burner - without lifting.

No reason to be sliding your canner from 1 burner to another anyway so it really isn't an issue.

Archived