MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Thursday Morning

snapshotmiki

Good news! Looks like we will get the third fixer upper/bull dozer outer that we looked at. Don't know when we will move but there is a hookup for the trailer sewer, elec., water already there so we can park by the house as we work on it. It is humbling as BIL is the one buying the house and we will rent from him for a while.

We have never had anyone do anything like this for us, Always done for ourselves. DH is helping out BIL and we will do most of the cleaning and fixing. It is certainly exciting!

Today (in the trailer) I am making spicy blueberry preserves and a blueberry pie. Also doing laundrey because I have to.

Anybody else up to anythng good today?

Have to get the boysenberry and the grape in the ground, water the garden and of course laundry laundry laundry except our dryer is not working so I have to take them to MIL house. Cannot hang a clothes line because we are in a mobile home park. DD is coming over later to help clean up the playhouse and picnic table which she will be taking for her kids, yay. Have a great day!

I will be making lasagna today and cleaning out the quail cages in anticipation of their NPIP exam tomorrow. The perpetual load of laundry is in the washer and will soon be out on the line. I'm working on paying bills and getting some writing out of the way. This weekend is the Syracuse Jazzfest so I want to have everything out of the way so that we can attend and just relax...I also have to plan the menu. We usually take a cooler there with food and goodies to eat and drink.

Congratulations on the new house, Miki!

I saw one of those scary slithery things in the yard yesterday. :behindsofa: I don't think we have a smiley to express my reaction! I hate even seeing them on tv, so when one's in my yard... Of course, by the time DH got home from work, it was gone.

We are going to put lattice up on one side of our front porch. We have new neighbors with no manners. I know neighbors don't have to be friendly or neighborly, but a little consideration for other people living around would be appreciated! We found lattice at Lowes that is called privacy lattice. It's white plastic (I'm all for never having to paint it!!) and is a smaller pattern than regular lattice for privacy.

We haven't had much rain. It has been hot and humid. The garden is doing ok. I'm still picking leaf lettuce and spinach every few days. We didn't plant alot of spinach as I wanted to make sure DH liked it. He does, so next time we'll plant more. I think I can plant it in late summer for a fall crop.

DH's work is very, very slow. Usually they are busy this time of year and getting overtime. The have a 'job board' at work that usually has upcoming jobs for the next few months. There's nothing on it. So far, it's been little jobs that last a day or two and while they are working on one job, I'm praying for another one. My stockpile of toilet paper suddenly seems comforting! I keep reminding myself that DH's employer is not our provider; God is our Provider.

Just to very happy for you Miki. Brings a smile to my face hearing how your life is turning.

I saw one of those scary slithery things in the yard yesterday. :behindsofa: I don't think we have a smiley to express my reaction! I hate even seeing them on tv, so when one's in my yard... Of course, by the time DH got home from work, it was gone.

My mom taught me to kill snakes at an early age. She had a great technique that involved using a garden hoe. I think she's getting senile now... She no longer kills them. She found one in her basement so she caught it in a bucket and released it. I asked her rather shrilly, '"Who are you and what have you done with my snake-killing mother?' :008Laughing:

MartianChick! What is the technique? Never had to get close enough to one to use a hoe but that is about to change. I would think to cut off the head but want to hear how she did it.

It was nothing special, Miki! She taught me to whack the head off with the garden hoe and then chop it again to "make sure" that it was dead. We had certain house rules about appropriate attire in the garden. Long pants and boots were requirements to prevent snake bites and insects. We also always carried a snake-killing appropriate garden tool...usually a hoe or a shovel to ensure that we could terminate any snake that came our way.

Please please be aware that the head can bite up to 20 minutes after being severed from the body. It may be "just" convulsions but may still contain poison.

Saw a man in Italy that ran over a viper with a tractor, banged on it with a milkbarrel, head severed and he still got bitten. DS was playing on some rocks in the area. I grabbed him under one arm and ran to the car.

Heard later that the mountain area there is full of vipers.

Me pees pants a little anytime a snake is shown on National Geographic.

Archived