MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Presto canner - can I put a jiggle thing on it?

I bought this canner today - http://www.amazon.com/Presto-23-Quart-Aluminum-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B0000BYCFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309729320&sr=8-1. For the moment, I'm just going to use it as a very expensive water bath canner (LOL!), but once I get up my nerve I'd like to also use it to pressure can. Since our extension office doesn't test gauges anymore, can I get a jiggle thing for it? (I know, that's not the technical term but I hope you know what I'm talking about!).

Yes, order part 50332. It is the 3 piece weight set. I would just get it and get to pressure canning if you can afford the $15 or less for one. Why wait to pressure can ?? It is so much fun.

Glad you ordered this canner. I use 2 of them just like it.

Thanks! I'll get one asap. I didn't even have to order the canner - I found it at a local store for less than Amazon's price! Unheard of around here...

Honestly, I'm a big terrified of pressure canning. Pressure cooking, too - I've had a pressure cooker up in my attic for about four years. Never been used. I just need to suck it up and try it one of these days...

I was scared too at first; but once I learned the principles and how it worked, that all went away. Try it, really; it's fun.

Oh, and I have to say, I have never known anyone personally who has exploded a canner; but I've known plenty of folks who pressure can. With the safety valves they have now, I don't see how a person could actually explode a canner anymore.

I bought this canner today - http://www.amazon.com/Presto-23-Quart-Aluminum-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B0000BYCFU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309729320&sr=8-1. For the moment, I'm just going to use it as a very expensive water bath canner (LOL!), but once I get up my nerve I'd like to also use it to pressure can. Since our extension office doesn't test gauges anymore, can I get a jiggle thing for it? (I know, that's not the technical term but I hope you know what I'm talking about!).

furbaby:

Our area ext office doesn't test gauges either.

I mailed mine to presto before canning season to:

Call 1-800-877-0441 weekdays 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM (Central Time)

National Presto Industries, Inc., Consumer Service Department

3925 North Hastings Way

Eau Claire, WI 54703-3703

There is no charge to test them and they pay the shipping back to you.

It is also a great idea to have that 3 piece weight set on hand too in case it gets to where we can't mail the gauges off.

Furbabymom, did you get it on sale at BiMart ? I see you are in Oregon. BiMart puts them on sale and sometimes has a free utensil kit with it for the $79. Last year they were $69, but all canning things have gone up.

It can be scary at first to most people, but it is safe to use.

I was SO afraid of my pressure canner the first two times I used it. LOL

I made sure I was the only one at home and I sat in the doorway of my kitchen "watching" it the whole time. Once I realized it was not going to blow up on me.... it's nothing for me to drag it out and put it to work. :-)

You will get hooked!

furbaby:

Our area ext office doesn't test gauges either.

I mailed mine to presto before canning season to:

Call 1-800-877-0441 weekdays 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM (Central Time)

National Presto Industries, Inc., Consumer Service Department

3925 North Hastings Way

Eau Claire, WI 54703-3703

There is no charge to test them and they pay the shipping back to you.

It is also a great idea to have that 3 piece weight set on hand too in case it gets to where we can't mail the gauges off.

Great to know - I'll send it in! Thanks so much!

Furbabymom, did you get it on sale at BiMart ? I see you are in Oregon. BiMart puts them on sale and sometimes has a free utensil kit with it for the $79. Last year they were $69, but all canning things have gone up.

It can be scary at first to most people, but it is safe to use.

I didn't, it was at Fred Meyer, but now I wish I'd checked BiMart! I never think to go there for anything but half barrels for the garden (they sell them especially cheap). Oh well, I still feel like I got a good deal.

I was SO afraid of my pressure canner the first two times I used it. LOL

I made sure I was the only one at home and I sat in the doorway of my kitchen "watching" it the whole time. Once I realized it was not going to blow up on me.... it's nothing for me to drag it out and put it to work. :-)

You will get hooked!

The first time I use it for that (I just used it for WB canning tonight), that's probably EXACTLY what I'll do, LOL!

Archived