MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

heritage recipes

gofish

What recipes are traditional in your family or region?

Here are some of mine.

Chicken Roast ... A Amish recipe a crowd pleaser

1 1/2 loaves of bread

1 lb butter

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 tsp celery seed

3/4 cup chopped celery

meat from a whole chlicen stewed and removed from the bone.

Crumble the bread by hand into large mixing bowl. melt butter; then pour it pver the bread crumbs. Add the seasonings and chopped celery. Then mix with the deboned chicken chunks.

Turn into a large roasting pan and bake at 350* for half hour to a hour until heated through. Dampen with water around the edge if it begains to dry out. Stir often the prevent sticking.

Serve with gravy.

Chicken Pot Pie ... My Mom made this often

1 3 1/2 to 4 lb.chicken

4 medium- sized potatoes peeled and cut into chunks

1 cup chopped carrots

1/2 cup celery

1 onion diced

salt and pepper to taste

pot pie squares

cook chicken in tow quarts water until it is partly tender

Than add the onion, potatoes, carrots and celery and cook until they and the chicken are completely tender. Remove chicken from bone and set aside.

Bring broth th a boil. Drop pot pie squares into boiling broth and cook 20 minutes or intil tender. Return chicken th broth and serve steaming hot.

Pot Pie Dough

2 eggs

2 cups flour

2 -3 Tablespoons milk or cream.

Break the eggs into the flour. work toghter, adding the milk to make a soft dough. Roll out the dough as thin as possible and cut into 1" x 2" rectangles with a knife . Drop into boiling broth.

Unlike noodles these are not left to dry before being cooked

Calico Beans ... My church's favorite

1 lb hamburger

1lb bacon

1 large onion chopped

4 Tbsp. vinegar

1 cup kepchup

2 cups brown suger

1 qt. great northern beans

1 qt. kidney beans drained

1 qt. pork and beans

Just about any bean you want to use is good

Fry hamburger and onion . Set aside. Cut up bacon fry and add to hambuger mixture along with remaining ingredients.

Put in crockpot and heat thoroughly.

Cream Pie ... My Grandma made this often.

1 cup sugar

1 cup boiling water

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 cup light cream

1/2 cup flour

1/8 tap. nutmeg

1/2 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Mix sugar, flour, salt and stir into boiling water. Add cream, nutmeg, and vanilla. Pour into a unbaked pie shell. bake at 450* for 10 minunites, then reduce to 350* for 40 minunites.

• 3 months later...

Potato soup

6 potatoes, diced and put in saucepan

water enough to cover potatoes

Boil until potatoes are done. Turn off heat. Add enough milk to cover potatoes, another couple of inches. It's better to add less milk and taste than to use too much milk and lose the flavor. Add butter, salt and pepper to taste. Sounds kind of yukky but really very good.

Mom used to put bread in the oven on about 200, with the door open, while potatoes were boiling. The bread would get brown and crusty and is delicious in the soup. Now, though, we just use crackers.

Potatoes and eggs

Fry as many potatoes as you'll need with lots of onion.

Mix enough eggs, seasoned to taste, to dump potatoes into, once they're cooked, and coat well. Put egg, potato mixture back in the skillet and cook until eggs set. Serve with toast.

Creamed eggs on toast

Boil as many eggs as you need. Make a white sauce and cut boiled eggs into it. Season to taste. Make toast and put egg mixture over top.

Creamed tuna on toast

Make a white sauce and add tuna. Serve over toast

Pot Pie

The pot pie I used to make took awhile to get enough vegetables. I had a container in the freezer. All leftover veggies and their broth went into the container. When the container was full I'd boil up some chicken thigs in no more water than necessary. I'd then use the chicken broth and veggie broth to make gravy and add the cooked chicken and veggies from the freezer. Making a crust from the cookbook I'd put it all in a Dutch oven and bake.

My Dad, brothers and I loved the potato soup too when Mom fixed it for us when I was a kid. I didn't know anyone else fixed it that way. Too cool!

I think my post should be in the poverty recipes but I messed up!

Archived