MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning pork tenderloin

Anyone raw pack pork tenderloin? And if so do you add broth or not? BBB says yes, but my Presto manual says not to add broth in capital letters! Help! Would like to can it today if poss. I pm'd Violet but I know she stays very busy. Thanks for any responses!!!!

It won't hurt anything to add broth. It makes the meat more tender. The main thing is to just be sure you have the 1 inch headspace. I would toss the Presto book to be honest. They have several things that are incorrect. Most of them say to add just a few quarts of water, not 2 or 3 inches. My friend just did that and nearly burnt her canner dry.

The fat, I save for my daughter's dogs. Guess you could render for lard, but I don't know how much you could actually get from it.

You can render (cook down) the fat you cut off any meat. Just heat it slowly in a pan so the grease runs out. Pour the melted part off, and keep in the refrigerator. It can be used to fry other things. Pork fat (uncured) has a mild flavor and will go with just about any food. Fry eggs, brown chicken pieces, etc.

Archived