MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pumpkin and cooking pear jam

Christy

We have been given a large bag of cooking pears. And the pumpkins here are near ripe. I know pumpkin cannot be pressure canned cos it´s too dense.

But with apples, pears, sugar and other additives, would it be a safe recipe?

There are a lot of recipes out there that ask for a waterbath cooker after filling the jars with hot jam. What say you?

At the BOL we have more pumpkins growing than we can shake a stick at. Once I go there they´ll be harvested and brought back here. Been reading how native Americans used to dehydrate them, grind into a powder and use as a sort of flour.

Excellent me thinks cos my pumpkins are the best growers each year.

The only safe way to can pumpkin is in cubes in the pressure canner. You can drain and mash it later for pies. http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_04/pumpkin_winter_squash.html

Pears are high acid, so you can use them for jam or puree them like you would applesauce. Lots of pear recipes out there to use.

You could dry the pumpkin. One thing that was really good was some spiced pumpkin leather I made last year. Also, don't forget to roast the seeds , too !

Pumpkin Leather

2 cups canned pumpkin or 2 cups fresh pumpkin, cooked and puréed <li>1/2 cup honey <li>1/4 teaspoon cinnamon <li>1/8 teaspoon nutmeg <li>1/8 teaspoon powdered cloves Blend ingredients well. Spread on tray or cookie sheet lined with plastic wrap. Dry at 140ºF.

Pumpkin Leather

2 cups canned pumpkin or 2 cups fresh pumpkin, cooked and puréed <li>1/2 cup honey <li>1/4 teaspoon cinnamon <li>1/8 teaspoon nutmeg <li>1/8 teaspoon powdered cloves Blend ingredients well. Spread on tray or cookie sheet lined with plastic wrap. Dry at 140ºF.

We make this for DH. He really likes it!! It makes the house smell good, like you're baking pumpkin pies.

Hmm that looks like something we would happily eat.

So little chunks are ok to can. Jam of pumpkin and pear would be fine too.

Might have a stab at the dehydrating once I picked up the crop at the BOL. There ought to be loads of them there waiting for processing.

And I'll definitely dehydrate and pulverize to use as flour. Flat bread me thinks.

Since our bodies don't seem to do well on grains, this could be a smashing alternative.

Thanks for thinking along ladies.

Along the same track, a couple years ago we canned some pumpkin (regular not sugar pie) and they were pretty much tasteless. Friend of my wife said if you put pie spices in while canning they are fine. Has anyone tried this? We can get alot of pumpkins from our church pumpkin patch after halloween and hate to see them go to waste. Any suggestions?

Dennis

I have not tried that, but it is fine to try it. Makes sense to me. Also, I was thinking of putting some sugar in the water. If you are using for sweet things, and not savory, I see no reason to not add some sugar to the water. You can sweet potatoes that way, in sugar water.

I have not tried that, but it is fine to try it. Makes sense to me. Also, I was thinking of putting some sugar in the water. If you are using for sweet things, and not savory, I see no reason to not add some sugar to the water. You can sweet potatoes that way, in sugar water.

Thank You Violet

Dennis

Archived