MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT do I do with all this MILK!

OK, as some of you know when the Amish are away we go and help out doing chores and staying on one of the farms to 'keep things going'.

Well there is a Wedding and most of the ones we hang out with are gone to Penn. part of the week as it is Thursday (Dec. 8,2011), SO we have been helping the few left (for chores) behind do chores on 2 farms. Now today the others left so we are down to 3 of us doing the milking of cows, goats and feeding of chicken, pigs, sheep and rabbits, and herding in and out of animals. Lori does the chickens and rabbits and then helps me with feeding sheep with hay from up in barn, down the hayhole to floor below, then feeding into the pens.

I am doing the milking, feeding and watering the horses and goats (milk one goat at first farm, the other one says NO! - so Freeman does that one). Also doing other chores and Thursday we will pick up 1 helper and then do it all over again, but tonight we have to pick up the last few going and take them to meet the bus at 1:30 am then go back to Freeman's to sleep at the Amish House until 5 am to start with chores there before heading out to the other Farms.

BUT

What can we do will all that milk and eggs?

I know I can freeze it but would rather make something fresh?

We are making ‘vinager cheese’ and also saving the cream to make butter and have some buttermilk left. Don’t want to make cheese so what are you doing with your leftover milk?

:AmishMichael2:

Its something else I thought of-what do the friends you are milking for do with it? Could you do the same? I know Amish have large familys so they probaley use a lot and maybe sell to a dairy? In our area you cannot sell it to individuals if it has not been pasturized.

Well IF they were here- they would be drinking it.

But not many around due to wedding- They said to just dump it on ground but I can't do THAT!

Thanks for the advice as we did make a few things you guys offered - now I might just have to make Creamed eggs on toast! after I look it up seeing I don't think I have ever had it?

:AmishMichael2:

Can you sell it to people who need it or to folks who have pigs?

:wormie2:

John

:sad-smiley-012: We are TAKING it from the pigs!

Seeing our part is just 4 cows and 2 goats we are not getting that much to share with a lot of people.

They said to just dump it or feed the pigs? so we bring the pigs apples and take home the milk (yes they get a bit as well).

The sheep are giving us NOTHING! LOL

Creamed eggs on toast is the first thing I ever learned to cook in Home Ec in junior high school. Have not made it in years. I make creamed tuna a lot.

I would make a cream pie of some sort. That and chocolate pudding.

Please, don't can the milk, as it is not considered safe to can.

I would freeze what you are able to for later on. I think it is great you can make fresh butter !

When I was a kid Mom used to make creamed tuna and we all loved it. I haven't had it now for years because DH about choked when I mentioned it and so did my friends here in Iowa. Decided it must be just one of those things my family did so I didn't mention it here.

Not that this has to do with milk but my family also loves grilled tuna sandwiches, DH and kids included BUT when I mention it to friends here, again, they can't imagine such a thing. Yet they all like grilled cheese, made exactly the same way.

When I was a kid Mom used to make creamed tuna and we all loved it. I haven't had it now for years because DH about choked when I mentioned it and so did my friends here in Iowa. Decided it must be just one of those things my family did so I didn't mention it here.

Not that this has to do with milk but my family also loves grilled tuna sandwiches, DH and kids included BUT when I mention it to friends here, again, they can't imagine such a thing. Yet they all like grilled cheese, made exactly the same way.

As long as you put cheese on the tuna, it is more commonly known as a tuna melt! I often order or make them for lunch.

Archived