MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Not sure what to do...

Nichole

My husband and I live in a mobile home on my parents land. We have always hoped to either build something on the property or find something nearby. Land costs so much it only makes financial sense for us to live on my parents 40 acres and build our homestead here. My dad bought the land because all us kids liked horses (although he was the one that introduced us to them lol). So, we have all been building up the homestead together.

My husband and I do not wish to stay in the mobile home forever, but we have also agreed that we will take care of my disabled brother (down syndrome) when my parents pass away. Because we have agreed to do that, we will also get the land and the house when that time comes. Something that both my dad and I have noted, is that it wouldn't make sense for us to have two houses on the property since we will one day move into theirs. They are both in their mid 40's, but we are thinking ahead.

The problem is, I don't want to live the next possibly 40 years in a trailer. We have thought about building a small house but my dad has heard too many horror stories of the family farm being cut up because of divorces, etc. Since we would have to take out a loan just to build a basement, that would involve cutting out a chunk of the property. (to put it in our name) He would rather us not do that because of the "what if's". I don't blame him honestly.

We also have a living space built into our barn that my Grandma has been living in. She is going to move into my parents old mobile home, because it is bigger, and she hates it because "she is living in a barn". lol She tells everyone that, but it looks just like an apartment. Oh well.

So, where the barn comes in, is my dad has offered DH and I to move in permanently into the barn. We would have to redo the upstairs, which is currently unfinished. We would possibly turn the tack room into part of the house too. Basically we would turn it into a 3BR house.

Part of me doesn't want to do this at all. I want to have my cute little farmhouse (even if it is just an inground house). Not to live in a barn. Now I sound like my Grandma...

The practical side of me says, this is the cheapest route. I would rather make the best of living in a barn than be saddled with more debt. We already have student loan debt... I can't live in a fantasy world where I am going to get what I want. If the economy keeps going the way it is (and I'm sure it will!) then this would be the best route.

This would also be the fastest way. We would like to have our permanent home built before I quit my job and we have kids. This way we will have more money to do the work out of pocket. We are looking at about 2 years before kids.

So, I really know which option we should choose, but it's not the one that I really want. The surprising thing is that DH sounds like he likes the idea.

I just need to keep thinking that it is what is best for us...

Well..............................

You could be like the Amish where one of the kids builds a small house to start out with 'on the family farm' then when mom and dad get 'older' they move into the small house (less work to clean and care for) and the Kid moves into the bigger house ( mom, dad, kids, etc.) as they will need more room.

You have a start on that with the barn house and what you are living in now?

Also why not add on to the mobile home for now - add bigger bedrooms and living room but use the bathroom and kitchen for now. Add on so you come in to the new part and then go in the 'old front door' to get to the other rooms. Turn the old bedrooms into a study or craft room or even storage.

Then years from now when you have the money - move the mobile home away and 'finish' you home by add onto the 'new' part with bigger Kitchen , modern bathroom and other rooms. A 'pay as you go 'plan?

:AmishMichael2:

Nichole, can you take down the barn to its bare bones and use the materials to rebuild it as your own home? This would give you an opportunity to check for termite damage or post beetles along the way.

Thanks everyone :) DH and I were looking at what we could do with it, and after we starting moving stuff around (on the computer, lol) I'm really starting to like the idea! The main thing didn't like about it was the kitchen. Currently it only has a small kitchenette with NO counter space. It makes my kitchen in the trailer look huge! After looking at it, we could add a bar that would wrap around it and give it a lot more counter space. Plus, we would have room for a dining room that would keep the kitchen table out of the cooking area.

I think what has changed my mind mostly is the fact that the storm shelter that is in it will be used for prepping. ;) We can plan it to where we have as much storage space for prepping as possible.

Michael - DH always threatens me that he's going to pull another trailer next to us! Since trailers depreciate so quickly and we paid about what it's worth right now (repo trailer) we are thinking if we sell it now it should cover the loan we have on it. Then we can put our monthly loan payment towards building.

It may end up working out to where Mom and Dad move into the smaller house when they are older. It is all one level, unlike their home right now.

As I was writing the first post, it kept getting clearer that this is what we should do. We can actually do a minimal amount of work (as in no new construction in the barn besides interior work) and move in there as soon as we sell the trailer. Then we can slowly buy the materials and save the money for the big parts of construction.

We will also be able to change the existing layout quite a bit to make it our own. As we were talking about it, I started laughing. The barn has a riding arena in the back, and when I was a kid I'd say that I wanted a riding arena in my house! I exclaimed "Kale (DH)! We'll have a riding arena in our house!"

Archived