MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Making yeast bread with soft wheat

If all you can get is soft wheat (white or red, doesn't matter) or "feed grade" wheat from the feed store, you need to know how to use it to make good bread.

First, it is absolutely necessary to sift it thru a baker's sieve like this:

sieve-for-macarons300.jpg

Bran will cut your gluten strands and soft wheat does not have a lot of gluten to start. So sift out the bran and any bits that didn't grind finely. Save that to add to unsifted flour for crackers or you can use it to sprinkle in the bottom of your bread pan so the bread doesn't stick.

I add eggs to assist the bread to stick together better. 2-4 large eggs per 2 loaf batch.

Set a sponge. Put all your warm liquids into the bowl with your salt, sugar, molasses or honey and fat (I prefer lard) and sprinkle in the yeast. Let the yeast hydrate 2 or 3 minutes. Beat in your eggs. Add about half to 3/4 of your flour, it should be a thick batter, not a dough at this point. Beat the living daylights out of it to start the gluten strands developing. It will seem rather as if you aren't going to get much. Then put it in a warm spot to rise for a couple of hours. Take it out and beat it to death. See how much more gluten has developed? You can add enough flour to make a very soft, sticky dough and put it back in the warm place. I like to use the oven and pour boiling water into a pan on the lower rack. If that isn't warm enough, take the dough out of the oven and turn the heat on for a minute or three then turn it off and put the bowl of dough back. Let the dough rise for at least an hour or two. Now take it out and knead more flour in until it is "right", smooth and not too sticky. If you put in enough fat, it shouldn't be too dry. I usually end up forming large rolls since I'm the only one eating it.

Sprinkle the bran on the bottom of an ungreased pan and put your rolls or loaf in the pan. Put back into the oven with the pan of water and let rise until doubled. Bake at 350 till done (time depends on size of loaf). I leave the pan of water in the oven so I get a nice crust.

You bake the bread, I'll take some of that venison from back at the cave with me. DROOL.

Archived