MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

look for cookie recipe to make hearts out of to stack

ok my church has started a new class and for valentines day I want to make heart cookies in different sizes and stack them on top of each other and decorate then and give them to the kids. I am thinking sugar cookies will work but the one i tried at christmas i did not like help please if you can

Is there no basic cookie recipe that you can cut out hearts from? Don't know the name in English but flour, butter, sugar, pinch of salt, bit of milk. mix with cool hands, leave in fridge to stiffen up half an hour and roll out. Cut with cookie cutter into heartshapes and bake?

Here is an old recipe:

Sugar Cookies

3/4 cup shortening (part butter)

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/2 tsp lemon or vanilla flavoring

2 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp salt

Mix well shortening, sugar, eggs and flavoring. Blend flour, baking power and salt and then stir in. Chill at least 1 hour. Roll 1/8 inch thick, cut out. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 400 deg for 6 - 8 minutes. Makes 4 doz.

christy I have made sugar cookies for Christmas but they where nasty did not like them a friend gave me recipe for ginger cookies but i dont think kids will like them

virgina thanks for the recipe but what does it mean 3/4 cup shortening (part butter)

do i add have crisco and half butter or just butter?

Thank you both for replying

This recipe is so old that people used lard or Crisco for most baking. I used to use margarine, but now I just use all butter. Crisco is not the same anymore, margarine is not the same, but butter always works.

Remember my grandmother rendering lard, and she used it in all baking. Made the best biscuits and dumplings and fried pies. As a young bride, Crisco was as close as I got to lard. Then they made Crisco more healthy, so it did not work as well.

You should see the recipe card, yellow with age and drops of various ingredients on it.

Here is the recipe I use and everyone loves them. cream together 1 cup Butter & 2/3 cup Sugar.Beat in 1 egg. Combine and add 1 teaspoon Vanilla and 2&1/2 cups flour. Mix until all ingredients are well blended.Chill dough 3 to 4 hours before rolling out on floured surface. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.Cut dough with cookie cutters and put on parchment lined cookie sheet.Bake for 8 to 9 minutes.Cool on pan for 2 minutes then remove to rack to finish cooling. Frost and decorate as desired. FROSTING--3/4 cup powdered sugar,1 tablespoon butter,1 tablespoon milk,1/2 teaspoon vanilla,1/4 teaspoon lemon juice.Beat all very well.Use food coloring and sprinkles if desired.

Archived