MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Commercially made salsa

I bought Peach Mango Salsa at Costco the other day. It is very good but it's a Costco container (large). I was going to put it in a few freezer containers and put it in the freezer. On the package it reads, DO NOT FREEZE.

Why would they say no freezing? Would it be alright? Violet, expertise please.

Freezing usually makes the tomatoes mushy as their cells rupture. So for texture, just blend it first, so now it is "sauce" instead of "salsa".

Tangent: I finally figured out how to get my food processor to chop into small pieces without blending smooth. While that may be a no-brainer to others, it was confounding me. And it takes way too much time to cut everything by hand. And since salsa is one of my favorites, I did some playing. This simple recipe was a big hit.

2 part onion (bermuda, sweet yellow, whatever)

4 parts tomato (I like romas)

1 part cilantro

jalapenos to taste*

squirt of lemon or lime

and here's the kicker - 1 big tablespoon of orange marmalade About 1/8 of whatever you're using for onion.

* char jalapenos with torch or on grill for a smokey flavor. Do inside only with a powerful vent fan.

There really isn't much you can't add in, but I went too heavy on the peppers as I used habeneros instead of jalalepneos so I was looking for a way to cut the heat and give it a citrus flavor. I saw the orange marmalade and WOW did it change the whole dynamic.

Freezing usually makes the tomatoes mushy as their cells rupture. So for texture, just blend it first, so now it is "sauce" instead of "salsa".

Tangent: I finally figured out how to get my food processor to chop into small pieces without blending smooth. While that may be a no-brainer to others, it was confounding me. And it takes way too much time to cut everything by hand. And since salsa is one of my favorites, I did some playing. This simple recipe was a big hit.

2 part onion (bermuda, sweet yellow, whatever)

4 parts tomato (I like romas)

1 part cilantro

jalapenos to taste*

squirt of lemon or lime

and here's the kicker - 1 big tablespoon of orange marmalade About 1/8 of whatever you're using for onion.

* char jalapenos with torch or on grill for a smokey flavor. Do inside only with a powerful vent fan.

There really isn't much you can't add in, but I went too heavy on the peppers as I used habeneros instead of jalalepneos so I was looking for a way to cut the heat and give it a citrus flavor. I saw the orange marmalade and WOW did it change the whole dynamic.

Are you going to share your discovery? I had never even thought about it, I just do it all by hand.

just one of the blades - the one that looks like a knife blade. I noticed it didn't fall all the way to the bottom. Anyway, it made a great salsa texture - chunky enough to identify individual pieces. I've also used the blender for half, and chopped the other half by hand, then mixed together. It will get foamy in the blender and needs to sit in the fringe for a few hours to settle, otherwise it doesn't look right - too bubbly.