MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question on canning pork

I've always canned pork tenderloins but our grocery store has pork roasts on sale for $1.79 a lb. this week. Has anyone canned pork roasts? What did you think of it? I've canned beef roasts alot so I would think pork would be good too but some input would be nice.

Thanks!

have canned pork roast but ya got to trim alot of fat off and then sear it like i do beef roast then stick in oven with some water and then cook at low 300 degrees for a couple of hrs then shred and make shredded barb que pork for sandwhichs and such or do it in chunks.....take care and keep the faith and god bless ya :clothesline::sheep:

Thanks Motherearth. Pork loin I can cold pack and I figured I could the roast too. After you said it needed cooking I got the Blue Book out (you know, when all else fails :) ) and it said it had to be cooked first too. Why is that, does anyone know?

TurtleMama it makes great bar-b-que pork sandwiches. DH also like it made into a gravy and on mashed potatoes or toast.

Edited by Dee

It is raw pack or hot pack. Pork roast is browned or heated and hot packed to help remove some fat, and also sears in the juices, plus will heat it and allow for better heat penetration in the canner.

It doesn't say to fully cook it. Cook it until rare. Not sure where you get fully cooked and falls apart.