MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cousances enamel cast iron pot

Hey guys! I got a Cousances enamel cast iron pot #16 at the thrift store today. It's really solid and in pretty decent shape. The top handle has a little piece broken off but it won't effect performance. My concern is there are some small spots on the bottom of the pot and on the rim where the enamel has worn down. This should be safe to use correct? Isn't it still just cast iron? Do I season it like regular cast iron? I've never had enamel cast iton before because of the expense....this was $4.50. Feel like I made a bit of a score.

I am so bummed. :shakinghead: Here I thought I was getting something good. All articles seem to say it's not safe because enamel can come off in your food. I'm going to try taking it back and exchanging it for another cast iron pot I saw. Glad I didn't invest in the expensive stuff...seems like it's kinda like Teflon.

No exchanges allowed...but, they did listen to what I said so they'll be looking more carefully at things they put on the shelves. :shakinghead: Maybe I can use it for a flowerpot....