MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Soup

I am currently canning chicken -- there was a kick-bootie sale on it this week -- but going through my Ball Blue Book, I am getting interested in trying to can up some homemade soup. We LOOOOOVE soup in our house, but we're out of freezer space and that's usually how we keep it.

My main question is, can I use pre-packaged stock (like the stock that comes in those aseptic packs...I get mine at Costco) to use in the soup? Reading the recipe in the Ball Book, I'm kind of getting the impression that they are calling for the homemade stock.

Also, in canning your own soups, can you use rehydrated dried veggies? I have a TON of celery that I dehydrated, and I'm looking for a way to rotate through some of it....canning homemade soup would be a great use! :) Jut want to make sure I'm playing it safe.

Thanks! :bouquet:

Are you boiling your chicken before cannning it? If so, you'll have a lot of broth to work with that you could use for your soup.

Don't put too much water it when you boil your chicken or it'll be weak broth and you'll need to cook it down some for flavor BUT what better broth could you have their your own homemade! :)

My soup is out and all four quarts "pinged!" Hooray! My DH keeps laughing at them, though. :tapfoot: He's making fun of them because the carrots turned the broth orange.

I think it's kind of cool...canning is always an adventure!!