MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Chicken Breasts

How do the raw, boneless, skinned chicken breasts turn out when you can them? Are they like a cooked chicken breast you'd get from KFC or a Windy's grilled chicken sandwich or do they need extra cooking after being opened? I should mention if I get a chicken breast from some place like KFC I remove the breading and bones before I put it on my plate so it's just chicken meat.

I figured I'd can 1-2 raw breasts in a pint jar or maybe 1 breast a 1/2 pint jar. Can they be marinated after they come out of the jar? Can they be marinated before they go in the jar? Can they be grilled?

I'm going through an adjustment period learning to can for one person in little bitty jars.

Edited to add:

I'm talking about whole breasts.

Edited by Jeepers

I love canning chicken, with and without bones, and its so simple.....just stuff into the jars and process jars in the PC. I can usually get three boneless breasts into a pint jar. The chicken is fully cooked and only needs to be heated, about the same as the commercially canned stuff but without the additives, etc. I often use the liquid to make gravy.

• 3 months later...

Well, this is what I plan to do next week. The chicken I've canned so far is pressure cooked, shredded and canned. But, now I want some chunks. I think pressure cooking first will make it too tender to stay in chunks. Love that electric pressure cooker.

I figure I'll cube some boneless, skinless breasts and can them without liquid and raw. I'm assuming after canning raw for 75 min. for pints, the meat will be fully cooked when canned? I've never done raw pack but it sounds so fast and easy. Famous last words!

Raw pack is the only way I do meats, with or without added liquid/broth. Yes, the chicken is fully cooked during the processing time. Sometimes I will briefly brown the meat (without added oil) for a little more flavor but its not necessary.

Thank you. :bouquet:

I did some stew meat and pressure cooked it before I canned it. It was so tender it lost its cubiness. Nice for shredded beef but not so much for beef chunks.

I just hope I'm finished canning by Christmas. I really need a break and my kitchen is a disaster. :gaah:

Jeepers, I raw pack boneless skinless breasts and have always had wonderful results. It always tastes wonderful straight out of the jar. I cut it into chunks first, then fill the jars, add the hot water, wipe, put on the lid, and process in the pressure canner. I've never had a single one go awry. With the breasts, you don't have to worry about extra fat and stuff. I love it! :)

Have fun and let us know how it turns out! :canning:

Wooo-hooo. I'm chunky!

I canned 16 pints of chicken chunks today. They look great. I sliced the raw, boneless, skinless breasts into chunks about the size of stew meat. I put them in the jars and mashed them down tight leaving an inch headspace. I didn't add any liquid but the jars are full of juice. I did add 1 tsp. of salt and 1/2 tsp. of chicken boullion granules to each jar. They look like one big chunk in the jars but I can tell they will separate after they are opened.

The boullion gave them a nice pale yellow color and will probably add to the flavor.

I'm really happy the way they turned out. I'll probably do a few more. I think the only cooked shredded chicken I can now will be in chicken veggie soup. Maybe a few more jars for casseroles.

Thanks for the moral support. :grouphug: