MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Stew Meat

I want to can some stew meat. I'll probably get a roast of some sort and cube it and then can the chunks. Anyone have a recipe for cubes of meat with a sauce added?

I'd like it really tender so should it be pressure cooked a little before I can it or will it turn too soft? Maybe pressure canning will take care of the tenderizing?

I'm thinking about the dish you get when you order beef tips with mushrooms and onions. It would be nice to open a pint of that stuff and pour over noodles or rice. Maybe I want beef stew without the carrots and potatoes added?

I thought I had a better handle on canning after all of these years. But, my situation has changed and I'm canning for myself now and for my own tastes. Read: flying solo and finally enjoying it. :curtsey:

I try to brown the beef chunks in a skillet (little to no oil) to increase the flavor and then stuff in the jars and process in a pressure canner. You could add a small amount of flavored broth to the jars, but the meat will make its own liquid which you can use later to make gravy or a sauce.

I think chuck meat is the best for canning. I use beef boullion in my jars. You can add it and leave 1 inch headspace. You don't have to raw pack meat. The broth gives a better product in my opinion. You don't need to precook, but browning is nice. I do that when I am not overly busy. I like the end results when I brown it first.

Then you have the broth to thicken after opening. There is also beef in wine sauce from BAll blue book that is good.

The only thing with the stew is that you don't have that much meat as in just a jar of plain meat. I can mushrooms by themselves and that way I can add to foods that I want them in. I used some on pizza last night.